Chisel Plow Questions

nh8260

A farmer near me has a chisel plow for sale, it is a 9 shank 3 point hitch Massey Ferguson model 127, I was just wondering how that model does and how it stacks up against other brands.

Also, the parts book shows it having a couple decals, one is the MF triangles, and the other is just Massey Ferguson I've not had any luck finding a photo that shows where the decals are at on the plow, anyone on here know?

I'm sure it would work fine. I would opt for one with discs on the front if I had a lot of trash to work under like corn stalks. The discs will cut it up some so it rots faster during the winter and early spring. 3pt will become an anchor if you get stuck or work in any wet conditions just like the old mounted plows were. I prefer trailing implements.You can unhook them get out then chain the implement out.

I agree. As long as it's not all bent or all wore out and floppy, it'll work just fine. There wasn't a whole lot of variation in chisel plows in that era, that for all intents and purposes one is as good as any other.

The points/shovels are universal. You can go straight shank 3" twisted or 4" twisted. I've been using the 3" twisted on my Bush Hog 8/10 shank. I can cover about 40 acres before I have to turn the tips over or replace them.

Indeed disc chisels are better for dealing with heavy stubble but you won't find one in a 3pt mounted. At least I've never seen one.

It should work fine. Depending on what kind of cover you are working thru and desired finish you will have to prepare the field before chiseling. In cornstalks you'll need to disk them first or even chop the stalks. Fall chiseling can look really ragged but they will break down well over the winter and work up in the spring OK. More trash left on top means less wind erosion. If it isn't all welded up you should be good to go. Chris

I agree with the others. They were all about the same. Ours was a Mohawk. I believe it was built by Bush Hog. Takes about 12 hp per shank to pull them.

I had one for a while and glad to get rid of it Think if I remember correctly it was a 6 shank And way to much for a Ford 5000, Would only work in bare ground, would not go in sod that was mowed off. Only a 12 inch shank spacing and plug at drop of a pin. Only got because goverment considered a farm I was renting highly eroadable and no moldboard. It will take twice the horse power they will tell you. Sandy bare ground will possibly work, not in clay. Will only work about 5-6 inches deep.

Does that one have three rows of legs or two? There were some in the 70s and 80s that only had two rows. I never used one of those, but it looks like the legs are closer together than on one with three. I'd think they'd be a little but lighter to carry since they don't stick out behind as far. Harder to get trash through though.

I've got a 9 shank, three row Taylor Way three point. I pull it with a 135 horse tractor. Power wise, it hauls it right along. I wouldn't want any lighter tractor on it though, too much weight hanging off the back to lift it with anything smaller.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back