Chopping silage

jon f mn

Finally dried up enough so I could chop some silage. Got about 10 of rain on the last month, then it froze hard last Monday and Tuesday, so the corn is pretty dry. All case equipment except the box which I think is a Minnesota, but I'm not sure. The 1030 and 300 chopper and 10 ton running gear are all case.

cvphoto137231.jpg

cvphoto137232.jpg

The 400 handled the hauling great.

cvphoto137233.jpg

cvphoto137234.jpg

The DC built the stack.

cvphoto137235.jpg

There was still plenty of mud to deal with as well.

cvphoto137236.jpg

cvphoto137237.jpg

cvphoto137238.jpg

Got all but one load done, but the 1030 was out of fuel so I'll finish tonight I hope.

Here is a short video of chopping.
Chopping

Thanks for the memories.I cut a lot of silage with an IH #55. Pulled with a 706,later a buddys JD 4010.The 706 wasnt big enough(2nd and low gear),the 4010 handled it a lot better.We used trucks,not wagons. Will never forget the howling those choppers make.

They are loud. This is the same chopper but with some case casted parts on it. It was made by IH to case specs for case.

Thought it was something like that.Recognised the shape and sound. But the color was a bit off.I know IH(and others) often bought/sold equipment from/to others to round out their line up.Changed the paint and decals.

Yikes. We are bone dry on my side of the state, pastures are dried out, alfalfa isnt growing, we arent use of the crops are mature, frozen, or just plain dried up. Cant see combines in the fields, just clouds of dust.

Your pics bing back memories of 5 years in a row when we had the rains and mud.....

Paul

When I was a Teenager back in late 60s that is what got me interested in Farming and tractors. Helping a couple of Dairy farmers cut and haul silage. Not done around here now due to all the farms being sold and made into housing complexes. Still have a 660 Ford and use it for gardening and bush hogging.

In my opinion there is little that compares to the sound of a tractor, any make, pulling a chopper in heavy corn, turning diesel fuel into smoke!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back