Christmas and Welding

Good Morning,
the wife and family are after me to find out what I want for christmas...turns out i am hard to shop for...
i have spent my free time lately learning to arc weld - dug out my grandfather's lincoln buzz box, wired an outlet for it and have thoroughly loved every second i have spent welding. I am thinking there are some accessories that I could use but don't know what they are.
I have the welder, gloves, a flip style helmet (don't think i need an auto-dark), dry containers for rod, built myself a table, and have every C-clamp i could possibly need - a shoebox filled to the brim for $6 at an auction, in addition to what i already had.

are any of those magnetic clamps useful?
how about some of the multi-angle clamps i see?
should i get a welding apron? haven't set myself on fire yet...

I guess i don't know what accessories are necessary that I can't live without but i don't know of their existance...or what ones are gimmicks...so i figure some expert opinions would help here...

Should I think about making a transition to a MIG? seems inexpensive and easy to use...but i like the challenge of the arc and have yet to find something I can't weld...though super-thin stuff is a challenge.

Also - can i weld outdoors or semi-outdoors in the winter or is it too cold? upstate NY

last - I miss the discussions and lanse, puddles and stick weld...haven't seen as many as I do in the spring...it's what inspired me to hook up the welder and get moving...

Vice grip type clamps of all kinds, and those magnetic units as well. Do not weld very much but this spring bought that auto darkning helment and the minute I did use it was like day and night difference to the old hehment, could see better than the old with the magnifying lens and I wear tryfocals. Would have done a lot more after I got it but a heart atack and bypasses realy slowed me down, just hope I do not have to have a pacemaker as then I will not be able to weld at all. The too cold question is you, how cold can you stand, me at freezing it is too cold to be out working.

I think an autodarkening helmet would actually be a great upgrade. You'd be amazed at how much easier it is. No holding the stick in just the right place and flipping the shade down only to find outwhen you strike that your hand moved 2" in the process. Cold makes no difference in welding. You're talking about melting metal together, 50C ain't going to make a difference. Transition to mig means a $600 machine to get something decent(although still small), then you also need gas and a wind free place to do the welding. You don't want to buy a cheapo mig welder. Although some seem to get away with it, it is recommended to get something from Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart.

My auto darkening helmet has made me a better welder. Much easier to get a weld started and see what you and your work are doing when you are starting it. I also really like my welding shoulder cape and apron. Makes those sudden painfull burns a lot less common!Esp when welding overhead or when laying underneath something.
For Xmas I myself would like a GOOD magnetic ground and some longer cables...

Great stocking stuffers, clear plastic, and glass lenses. Welding gloves, if you're like most people you'll go through more off hand gloves.

Leather protective hoods, vest or coats would be good additions to your welding collection. I also think you would really like an auto helmet.
They also protect your eye much better. How often have you accidentally stuck the arc before you have the helmet all the way down?? Also it is hand if you need to stitch weld something.

As for mig welding. I have a Miller 252 welder. It is a good welder. I still find myself using the stick welder many times. I either need harder rods(7018 or 10018) or the wind is blowing around what I am welding. I can still overhead with the stick welder but have not gotten the trick learned with the wire feed. Plus many times I only need to weld a few inchs and it is not worth the wasted gas to used the mig.

Hi Steve,

An A/D welding helmet is the most useful thing anyone has suggested so far. The Harbor Freight ones are very good---certainly more than good enough for someone who isn't going to weld for a living (and a lot better than many tradesmen give them credit for).

If you are using your father's buzz box, there's a good chance it's AC only---about 9 out of 10 of them are. A good upgrade you could get without breaking the bank is to get an AC/DC model of the same thing. They come up far less frequently on Craigslist than the AC version, but they do show up occasionally. They usually sell for $150 to $250. Since you're comfortable welding now, you could test any welder on the spot before you buy it. I have no idea what the Xmas gift tradition is in your household, but a used welder is obviously something your wife couldn't buy for you by herself.

For around $300 you could get the Chinese inverter stick welder which Puddles felt was amazingly good. As far as getting a MIG welder is concerned, I think your reservations about one are exactly right. GMAW is the best kind of welding for certain things, and if those things are what you mainly do then you should have a MIG welder. Otherwise, stick has a lot more going for it than those who don't have the time or willingness to put in the many hours of practice it takes give it credit for. I have access to every kind of welder (within reason), all of them very high quality welders. Unless something I'm doing simply has to be MIG (or TIG or oxy) welded, stick is my go-to every time. Quick and dirty and versatile, that's what I like.

Stan

Im glad I've inspired you, and I wish you the best in your welding adventures :)

With that being said, what I use most in my shop are:

1)Angle grinder
2) Layout/Measuring tools.

A really nice angle grinder runs about $100-$150 and is truly invaluable. Im actually planning on getting another one here soon, probably makita or milwaukee. Dewalts and porter-cables are also VERY nice, and a 4.5" grinder will see a lot of use when you're welding. You can use it to clean up your metal when its rusty, before you weld on it, then with a wire wheel to clean up the spatter and prepare for paint, etc.

And the other stuff, tape measures, squares, etc are inexpensive and would make great stocking stuffers for you.

Vise-Grips are great too, you can never have enough. a BFH is also very helpful, but get a good one. The handles on the cheap ones break surprisingly easily.

Hmmm, those are the things that come to mind that you might want to ask for. A DC Stick welder is great as well, once you try DC, you'll never want to go back to ole' AC. Plus, you can tig too :)

Good Luck and happy welding man!!

thanks for all of the suggestions...
i guess i am going to put the auto darkening helmet on the list...
out of curiosity...how does it recognize the bright light and darken that quickly?

the other suggestions were great too already have aa few angle grinders...4.5, 7, 9 inchers...
- i did learn, from YT, about preparation and the use of flap discs and now keep one loaded on one of the 4.5" grinders...as always...i learn more just lurking on teh boards and reading...
maybe i'll throw some cutting discs, grinding wheels on the list...

i like the suggestion for the DC machine...what is the difference as far as welding goes? i know the DC can run a wider variety of rods...does it get better penetration? weld smoother?
second question - if i were to grab a DC welder, i noticed some generator/welder combo's on craigslist...since i already have the electric AC machine, would it be worth getting this? i am in the market for a generator...or am i better off getting 2 seperate units?
example on local craigslist: http://albany.craigslist.org/tls/2685410753.html
also a miller 5000W
just a thought

thanks again for all of the suggestions and the discussions and posting of pictures over the years...always enjoy reading them.

If you're interested in an engine drive welder / generator a buddy of mine has a Lincoln Ranger 305G, very nice welder, and 10,000-watts peak AC power. I'm not familiar with the Miller product along these lines, but I'm sure they're very close too.

Here's a couple pictures of what a weldor needs to have on hand. Take your pick of what you think you need the most. :wink:

The handiest tools I have for welding are some magnetized angle and cornor set up tools.They don't cost much but are sure handy when welding sheet at 90 degrees from each other.

I should also add that if you're going to do any real amount of welding, get the best stuff you can afford, minus the a/d helmet. I have a $150 Hobart that has the a delay setting, shade adjustment, and sensitivity, and replacable AAA batteries. All of those features are nice but not absolutely necessary. There was a thread a few years back that did a test on several grinders. Bosch came out on top.(no surprise). So if you have some extra $ for an angle grinder, you know what to get. If you want to get something else, Metabo or Makita seems to be the next best. Dewalt has never seemed to impress me much. Always seem to die too early. I've ran 2 of Bosch's grinders. A 5" and a compact 4 1/2". Both were really nice, smooth grinders. Anti vibe handles are really nice too. Model #1380Slim and #1811ps
Grinder Torture Test

(quoted from post at 10:53:42 11/13/11) i have spent my free time lately learning to arc weld - dug out my grandfather's lincoln buzz box, wired an outlet for it and [color=red:64b105ccfb]have thoroughly loved every second i have spent welding. [/color:64b105ccfb] I am thinking there are some accessories that I could use but don't know what they are.
I have the welder, gloves, a flip style helmet (don't think i need an auto-dark), dry containers for rod, built myself a table, and have every C-clamp i could possibly need -

Sounds like you have about all the basics, and apparently the welder works good for you.

You might consider the material you'll need for your projects.
E.g. - lengths of mild steel in all sizes of angle, flat bar, rod, etc.

That in itself gets expensive and it would be handy to have material on hand that you could easily grab for anything you want to weld up. You can't go hunting without ammo. :lol:

I do agree with the others about the auto darkening helmet. I think if you get one, you'll enjoy welding even more.

Just some thoughts: A NEW pair of good well fitting blue jeans or "Carharts" (long enough to well cover your boots), and then treat them with "flame retardant". Or a pair of leather welders trousers. A good pair of "high top leather boots" . Leather (or welders) jacket. Leather "arm guards" for summer welding. A good pair of safety glasses (to wear when grinding and to wear under the welding helmet) - (prescription lenses safest glasses), if you need them. A couple of pair of long cuff leather welders gloves. Ditto the A/D helmet. A couple of Long - bar or pipe type clamps. A short length (3 to 4 inches long) of heavy angle iron to be able to clamp work in 90 degree position. A light chain and binder to "pull" work into position for welding. A 5 pound short handle hammer to "bump" things into place or position. A good 4 foot long METAL level. Four adjustable "jack stands" to elevate and level work and aid in positioning. As mentioned before a Lincoln AC/DC would be a handy upgrade. A good welding table that is a comfortable height for YOU. A good supply of rod, it is embarrassing to "run out" of rod and not finish a job. Cut off band saw, power hack saw or abrasive cut off saw . Good luck in your efforts.

Get a full length leather apron.My leather jacket is just too hot at times.I use a helmet that lets me lift the lens.Auto dark dosent help if you strike an arc with the helment up.The price spread between china and US helmets bothers me.We all know what happens when you choose tools based on price alone.Saw 3 welders working on a new store front, they used drop type helmets.My sons friend says auto dark helmets are too slow for him.Would like to hear from full time welders on helmet choice.Magnets will bother the arc.My welding table has a slotted top so I can use drill press hold down clamps.Dont use welding gloves to handle hot metal.Look for a DC welder but dont sell your AC Lincoln.Bought my Lincoln 225 in 1965 for 93 bucks.

I have been doing most of my own welding for about 20 years, ever since the second time I took my manure spreader to the guy down the road, and he told me that I was coming in so often that I should have my own. ( I did clean it up really well.) I would add to the list a set of O/A torches to cut pieces for fabrication. You would use them a lot of course for getting things apart too. Like Lanse says, two grinders are very helpful, because it cuts down on swapping wheels. Also the second will enable you to finish the job when one dies. They don't last forever. AMIG is very helpful for the thin material. Mine is very expensive to operate because I am much more likely to leave the valve turned on than on my O/A LOL.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back