Christmas away from home

37 chief

Anyone in the service, and had Christmas on a military base? I did one time, in Japan. We had holiday routine. Holiday for the officers, and routine for the enlisted. For some the commanding officer thought it would be a good idea for the enlisted to work Christmas day. I don't think much got done. Stan

7 at least two on shore stations and five on ships one Christmas on the gun line off theviet nam coast, burned a lot of powder that cruise 72-73 Dan

As I recall, during 10 years in the Marine Corps, I was home for Christmas once.

I really don't recall too much about Christmases in the Corps, but I'll never forget one New Year's Eve celebration. I was in a fighter squadron deployed to a Nationalist Chinese Air Force Base on Taiwan. The officers and Staff NCO's of our squadron were invited to a New Year's Eve party at the Nationalist Chinese Air Force Officer's Club in PingTung.

The Chinese celebrate New Years with fireworks, and there were so many fireworks going off inside the club that they had to stop the dance several times to sweep the debris from the fireworks off the dance floor. At one point in the evening, I went down the street to reload on fireworks, and from a block away if sounded like a full scale firefight was going on in the club.

Stan, where in Japan did you serve? I served four years at Yokohama AFB. One Christmas there. 1986. Didnt work for 2 weeks if I remember correctly.

One Christmas in Vietnam. The Army tried to make it a special day, but of course, not as good as being home. 100 degrees made it a little strange.

I spent Christmas 1988 at Araxos RRL which was actually located between Kali Makki Greece and Araxos Greece. As far as officers not working on Christmas I was an officer and spent from 6PM on 12/24 to 6AM on 12/25 working in the command post. It also happened to be my first command post shift. One of the few things I remember from that night was the phone calls from around the world to my fellow squadron members. One father got very irate with me when I couldn't patch him through to his daughter. The thing is I knew were his daughter was, she and her new boyfriend took off for a three day weekend down in Athens, didn't know that I wanted to share that information with him. The only enlisted working Christmas day were the enlisted command post controllers and the security forces. Almost ended up spending Christmas 1990 in Daharan Saudi Arabia but ended up going back to the states just after Thanksgiving.

I was with a patrol squadron of Navy P3's, a patrol aircraft. Stationed at Iwakuni Japan in 67.

Korea, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Iraq. Always depressing; Officers and Enlisted both pulled duty of all kinds. My thanks to all who serve honorably and veterans. US Army Ret. Michael

I enlisted in 1969, didn't get married until December of 1974.

I worked rotating shift work for most of the first 10 years I was in. If your shift fell on Christmas, so be it.

During those 5 years I was single, if I happened to be off on Christmas, I'd offer to take a shift for a married guy. No point in sitting in the barracks twiddling my thumbs if I could free up a married man to be with his family.

Later, when I was married, single guys did the same for me.

37 Chief, I was at Yokota AB in 68 and 69 for Christmas. If the holiday wasn't on your day off, it was a regular day or in my case night. Not much for celebrating there.

Spent Christmas 68 in GTMO. 69 and 70 on a ship probably one of those in port and the other in the Med. For 71 I got out on a cut as the war was winding down so was out and home for that one.

Christmas 1967, DakTo Central Highlands of South Vietnam. I did manage to sneak back to Pleiku and catch the Bob Hope Christmas show though. I tend to refer to that one as the Raquel Welch show....... What a highlight. Larry

I was in Itazuke Japan from 58 to 60 . 8 th Tac fighter wing . I was a youngster ,really enjoyed my time there .

AzPeapicker

!967, Germany, spent Christmas on the Hill, Missile Site. Keeping the Migs at bay. I spent that New Years eve at the local German Police station. I was with an E 7 on duty. We were there in case some of our boys got into trouble. Joe

Had it pretty easy as far as locations go. 1969 I was in Bainbridge, MD at class A school, cleaning the barracks hallways. 1970-73 NAS Albany, if you had duty you worked, if not had the day off. Never home as home was in Houston.

Spent Christmas in the barracks in 76 and 77 at Panzer Concern just outside of Stuttgart, 83 at Baumholder, 91 in Bamberg and 92 in Manheim. No fun but someone had to do it.

Rick

1971 Vietnam on Firebase Linda. Did get to go to the Bob Hope Christmas show in Da Nang a few days before. I remember Jim Nabors (sp), the Dean Martin's Golddiggers, of course Bob and maybe Miss America (who might have been Phyliss George). Christmas day on the firebase where they served us turkey & dressing flown in. A long time ago in some respects and not so long in others. Came home in Aug. 72. Peace and good health to all who served.

I also, thank each of you for your service, over the holidays and every day. My freedom and that of my family is thanks to you.

67, SOC TRANG,V.N., SOC TRANG TIGERS, HUEYS...WE HAULED 4 ROUND-EYED NURSES, TO GREEN BERET CAMPS, TO SING...CREW CHIEF/DOOR GUNNER, 1100 HRS...BE BLESSED, GRATEFUL, PREPARED...INDY, WHERE WERE U WHEN HIT??

Last year in, we left for Cape Canaveral on 23 December 1972. We had just converted from Polaris to Poseidon missles and had to fire a couple there and go to the Carribean for some other crud. The other crew got the boat later, then we did my last patrol before I got out. That was the only Christmas I wasn't home....

I Spent 4 years overseas. A lot of native gals enjoyed the free spending GI's. I'm glad I was not one of them.

My first Christmas in the navy was spent in bootcamp,
then 2 over seas in Scotland, Got married and was stationed in Norfolk VA. First Christmas married was spent in Naples Italy on a Med cruise. But the last 4 during active duty were spent at home in Norfolk.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back