City boy need help - Serial # 9A 323420,

Perseverance

New User
I am researching info on a recently acquired (free) Massey Ferguson that has not been started for the last 18 years. The serial number 9A 323420 is on the tag located bottom center of, and fastened to the instrument panel just in front of the gear shift. There are other numbers embossed all over the tractor, not sure what they are. sitting on the tractor...
LF22312U610462F - LEFT ENGINE BLOCK
1867 505 M4 - TRANSMISSION/LEFT SIDE ENGINE BLOCK
870-955-M2 - top of transmission case
37113010/7 RIGHT SIDE ENGINE BLOCK
18H8. D5 - RIGHT SIDE ENGINE BLOCK (below 37113010/7)
Perkins A4.248
1664511 M1Q right side under seat

I am looking for model #, owners, user and/or service manuals.

Please be kind if this info is posted elsewhere. I have search this forum and several other forums and have searched the internet for hours.

I am not a mechanic, farmer or rancher, I'm just a city boy who is a jackofalltrades who likes to tinker.

I managed to get her running with just doing the following:
New Batteries
New Fuel filter
flushed fuel lines
Removed and cleaned out fuel tank
5 gallons of fresh diesel
Replaced power steering hose and fluid
changed oil and filter
replaced all 4 hydraulic hoses and fluid

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

mvphoto25965.jpg
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto25966.jpg[/img]

mvphoto25968.jpg
https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/photos/mvphoto25969.jpg[/img]

mvphoto25970.jpg

Pictures have been an adventure on this site the past couple weeks. Really hard to copy and paste as your pics don?t come up automatically.
Basically you have closeups of each of the serial numbers, which is cool.

Be nice to have a pic of the whole tractor, most folk familiar with Massey could tell you the series real quick from a good pic.

Paul

Is there a number on the hood? Maybe 255....that number would be the model number. The Model number will get you the parts and tractor
manual you will need. All the other numbers are part and/or casting numbers.

Going by the "F" on the end of the engine serial it is a 1979 build. The "U" in the center is means UK built. The 5 digit number between the build code "LF" and the "U" is the Parts List Number and you will need that to get the correct internal parts should you need some as there are MANY versions of the 248 even within the "LF" build.

P.S. after further digging the 275 had a 248 (265 had a 236) and was built from '75 to '83, Beginning serial for '79 was 9A300200, and '80 was 9A326169 so that kind of matches the build date for the engine.

This is how we found her. She was over grown with bamboo, thorn bushes and a few wasp nests(I really hate wasp)! After airing up the tires and towing her to a clearer work space, the fun began!

cvphoto1046.jpg

You might want to check the transmission/rear axle/hyd for water contamination.

Being stored outside real good chance it's got a lot of water in it.

IMHO you have one heck of a good tractor there! Especially for the price! Others on here know a lot more than I do but I have "heard" that the UK built Massey's
are better than the ones built in South America. I am very partial to this particular model as my Dad had one for many years and it was a HOSS! When it developed
PTO issues he traded it at the local dealer and got a 283, which was a little larger and also a HOSS! I strongly suggest that as suggested below check the rear
end fluid for water. IF this tractor wasn't just terribly abused in it's previous life it's worth putting some money into to get it up and functioning again.
Happy for you!

Well, pretty clear it?s a 275 from that pic. :) I?m a smart aleck, I know. :)

Looks like you got lots of good help.

Paul

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back