F215D help!

Hello. My first post to this forum. I do not own a Yanmar tractor and until last month I had neither operated or laid a wrench on one. Some friends of mine have a F215D model with a problem they have been unable to resolve. From their description of the problem it appears to be electrical in nature which is right up my alley since I am a retired [25 years now!] electrical/electronic test engineer. I offered to drive over and have a go at it. The owners story was that they had removed the battery to charge it and upon reinstallation they *thought* they had installed it reverse polarity so they reversed it to positive ground which they said is the correct arrangement. On my first visit I took them at their word [Hey! it's their tractor] on the positive ground and focused my efforts on their main issue which was that the 3-pt lift arms would not lower. This tractor has a 3 position switch on the right fender with momentary contacts either direction from it's center rest position and serves to raise the 3-pt from the position set by the regular 3-pt position lever. This switch needs to be momentarily toggled to raise or lower. Since this raise and lower action is electrically controlled there must be either a motor driven or solenoid actuator to interface with the hydraulics. I was unsuccessful in finding it. The only electrical connection into the transmission that I located was associated with the switch for the reverse alarm. I was testing without benefit of any documentation. I did verify that the toggle switch contacts were making up properly and that continuity exists from the switch to the internals of some type of CPU module which is located under a panel under the seat. BTW, with the battery connected positive ground the tractor starts and runs OK but the gauges do not work which the owner reports was noted concurrently with the 3-pt lift problem. I ran out of daylight and went home without any resolution. I spent a fair amount of time in the following few weeks online in search of documentation. I read all of the posts in the Hoye tractor forum and the Tractorbynet Yanmar forum that addressed the F215 model or any of the other Fxxx models. I found that Hoye has a "models to avoid" list and this one is squarely on it. Their comment: "With no English service manuals or wiring diagrams we have a hard time recommending these tractors to anyone but adventurous electronics engineers". Ugh! I am an adventurous electronics engineer and I *would not!* want a tractor for which I could not obtain documentation. One thing that I did conclude from my websurfing was that the owners assertion that this is a positive ground tractor was highly suspect. I decided to look at that question on my subsequent visit which was this past weekend. Sure enough, this is a negative ground model. As I expected to find, the battery was not charging. Because of having been connected reverse polarity two of the four diodes in the diode bridge in the voltage regulator were failed open but the two remaining diodes were intact enabling the determination that the voltage regulator was designed for a negative ground system. As an aside, when connected correctly the battery sees the diode bridge between the alternator and the battery as two pairs of diodes in series and reverse biased. If the battery is connected in reverse it now sees these two pairs of diodes in series *forward biased* which will quickly smoke at least two of them. Note: in the case of this tractor even connected incorrectly as positive ground both the starter motor as well as the motor driven actuator which controls the fuel shutoff linkage to the injector pump operate correctly.
I located the fuse block which consists of four 3AG type fuses and is located on the left side of the engine firewall. Starting from inside I determined the fuse loads as #1 gauges, #2 turn/blinkers, #3 fuel c/o motor plus unknown loads, #4 headlights. I also located an inline fuse sticking out of the wiring harness in the general vicinity of the CPU under the seat but was unable to determine what it powers [fuse found intact]. When the battery is connected correctly as negative ground, the gauges now function correctly but fuse #3 [fuel c/o moter plus unknown loads] quickly blows This is a 10A fuse per the fuse block cover. This circuit is drawing >20A [measured] with correct polarity but <1A reverse polarity which suggests that it is feeding a polarity protected load which has failed as a short. Interestingly, with all fuses pulled the backup alarm still functions which I believe, but did not prove, is powered via the CPU module under the seat. Still no resolution but I desperately need a wiring diagram. After my most recent visit it occurred to me that I did not know the function of a component that I had to move out of the way to access the voltage regulator. It is an electrical device with at least six wires going to it's connector. This may be worth further investigation if I knew what it is.
My questions to the forum are:
1) Has anyone located a wiring diagram for the F215 or any of the other Fxxx models and can direct me to them?
2) Where is the actuator [motor or solenoid] associated with the 3-pt lift toggle switch?
3) What is the electrical device that is located near and obstructing access to the voltage regulator?
<ATTACHMENT filename="0304180727_resized.jpg" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>0304180727_resized.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>
Thanks for any and all input!

39084_76d7177c410b89c33dd249b0f53676dd.jpg

I do actually have a wiring diagram for that model so that should help some. It would help more if you can read Japanese. That is about all I know about the electrical system on that tractor though.

I'm not sure why the website keeps shrinking the diagram but if you want it in a bigger PDF just click the contact me link below.

<ATTACHMENT filename="1.jpg" index="1"><s>[attachment=1]</s>1.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>
<ATTACHMENT filename="2.JPG" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>2.JPG<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

3_5e5e490223fe854b51a2c2ce9a140e1e.jpg

3_be6242cb8118d97e1dddccb653a56497.jpg

Aaron thank you so much. If I save the two images you posted to my computer I get the file sizes listed, 248K and 109K, so if that is what you are posting then I have the best resolution you have to offer. I have studied these enough to determine that they do not apply exactly to the model F215D I have been working on. The most apparent difference is that it does not have the "UFO" device that I have seen discussed in some posts elsewhere in this forum associated with higher numbered Fxxx models. The first image [the schematic] you have provided shows the array of potentiometers on the right side of the schematic as well as some associated control device to the left of it. I believe that this is the "UFO" stuff which has been discussed elsewhere. The tractor I'm looking at does not have this nor is the wiring harness set up with unused connectors to have offered the "UFO" as an option. Do you have any other diagrams that you think might be applicable that do not have the "UFO" option which might prove to be closer to the tractor I am looking at? FWIW, the tractor I'm looking at does appear to have a form of draft control which is a lever next to and just inboard of the lever that controls the 3-pt lift arms. Both are mechanical linkages with no associated potentiometers. Thanks again!

You are in luck! I also have the non-ufo version. Both diagrams are directly out of the F215 parts book so it should be exact.

<ATTACHMENT filename="1.jpg" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>1.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

3_0c016f057445c1d3a498520cbbfe586b.jpg

Aaron, Yes!, that looks like it fits the tractor I am looking at. Is there a chance that your book also has the component layout diagram for this version similar to what you have for the UFO version?

<ATTACHMENT filename="1.jpg" index="0"><s>[attachment=0]</s>1.jpg<e>[/attachment]</e></ATTACHMENT>

3_ac4d28846c13be7683e2fb12fec2e165.jpg

Aaron, thank you so much. That diagram looks like it matches what I have seen so far. The tractor I'm working on is located in a different State/timezone so what you have provided will enable me to do some advance planning of my testing strategy before my next trip over there. In the meantime, I have requested that the owner order the parts manual and voltage regulator from you. Hopefully those will be at hand before my next visit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back