Cleaning carburetors

Mtjohnso

I purchased an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning carburetors and other things. I recently cleaned a carburetor with simple Green as the cleaning agent in the ultrasonic cleaner. I ran it for 30 minutes at 50C. It did not clean everything out.
In the past I have used Berryman Chemdip.
What have you used successfully to clean carburetors?

I have been using GUNK for years. Get it on your hands or clothes and you stink. It does an excellent job dissolving carbon. The carb comes out new looking. Its not quite as strong as the stuff we used in the garage 40 years ago. U did want that stuff on your skin.

I've only used laundry detergent in mine. And I do sometimes have to run a wire through each little hole. Also, 30 minutes doesn't seem like enough time.

Simple green comes in a number of different strengths. The most common one is pretty tame so it won't accomplish much.

(quoted from post at 22:28:41 11/16/23) I have been using GUNK for years. Get it on your hands or clothes and you stink. It does an excellent job dissolving carbon. The carb comes out new looking. Its not quite as strong as the stuff we used in the garage 40 years ago. U did want that stuff on your skin.

The original Gunk that you used 40 years ago contained a chlorinated hydrocarbon which is a very strong solvent, but which is also a very strong carcinogen. After it killed a few hundred people they eliminated it. This happened around 1985.

They don't make carb cleaner like they used to thanks to the gubment-controlled EPA and the green brainwashed idiots. Most is a watered down solution but can still be semi-effective. I have always just used plain old Mineral Spirits. Lacquer Thinner or a 50/50 Mix of Acetone and UTF work well too. If unit is very rusty and dirty, soaking in plain white vinegar for several weeks first is advised. Follow up with few weeks of soaking in the MS. Cleaning internal parts is crucial. Never use drills, reamers, or other objects that can distort orifice diameters. They were originally engineered and drilled at certain diameters for a reason. Pipe cleaners and old used guitar strings is what I use. Once internal halves are cleaned, I use plain old Pine Sol to give a good washing bath. Dry off with compressed air. Let dry our well B4 installing new parts. Get a new TISCO Carb Rebuild Kit; the complete one, not the basic budget one that have no crucial parts. I also advise to use a good wide blade-type device like a chisel to install and remove the Main Needle & Valve Seat. All the jets internal and parts are brass and will booger up screw slot if an improper tool is used. I also advise to use a 3/8 6-PT Deep Well Socket to remove and install the Main Jet.

MARVEL-SCHEBLER CARB INTERNAL DRAWING & PASSAGES SHOWN:
0BY8XNal.jpg
LkCOXuQl.jpg

HERE IS A BEFORE & AFTER SAMPLE OF A REALLY BAD CARB REBUILD PROJECT I DID ONCE:
hkUhjwrl.jpg
WoYDWw3l.jpg
qcR4kC8l.jpg
AKji1iGl.jpg

MY M/S CARB REBUILD TOOLKIT:
4kYMNGyl.jpg

NEEDLE & VALVE SEAT; ORIGINAL ON TOP, NEW STYLE ON BOTTOM:
Z4a2cvSl.jpg
YP575Shl.jpg

tkE85l9l.jpg

TISCO CARB REBUILD KIT FOR ALL N-SERIES MODELS:

50nBgW2l.jpg

Tim Daley (MI)

Since I got my ultrasonic cleaner, I have been very satisfied. I usually clean for 1 hour. The first half hour starts cold and warms up. Second half hour is at set temp.
It's reported Green Simple Green is corrosive to metal. I used the recommended Simple Green Pro HD (Purple).
My theory with cleaners like Berrymans, is the viscosity to too thick to get into the small areas like the main jet tube of non-adjustable carbs.
I did have one carburetor that after ultrasonic cleaning developed a leaky float. The float had very fine jagged fractures lines. Can't say the ultrasonic caused it, but I no longer clean floats in the ultrasonic cleaner.
I use a stainless steel ultrasonic cleaner ball to hold the small pieces.
K-Mo

I use Gunk carb cleaner. Comes with about 3 quarts in a gallon can like paint. Has a small parts basket. I soak parts over night. Rinse with water outside in the gravel driveway. Then wash with Dawn and hot water. Blow dry with compressed air. Focusing on the passages.

In my ultrasonic cleaner I gave been trying different non corrosive cleaners. Purple Power,Simplegreen,etc. From a couple of suggestions on thenet I tried one I would not have thought of. Pinesol. It has worked for me as well as anything else I have tried so far. I have been pretty happy with the results. However if your carb is heavily rusted probably something else would be better.

Good post for the most part Tim, unfortunately name-calling habits from grade school are hard to eliminate from ones persona.

I do a bunch of carbs every year . A good while back and OLD parts store was closing . They had five big buckets of the OLD stuff before the EPA stuck there nose into things . They had no idea what to do with it , i did and gladly took them off there hands . this is the stuff you do not want to get on your hands or our clothes . The down side is bucket replacement . over time it seems to eat thru metal buckets . This stuff cleans , take a Holley aluim carb hang it off a piece of wire and i don't care what it looks like one slow down and back up it is almost like new . The only thing i have found it will not remove is this NEW Green what ever it is i have been finding in the float bowls and to get that out ya have to GRIND it out. The new stuff does not hold a candle to the old . The next down side to the old is it STINKS and the smell lasts for weeks.

(quoted from post at 14:27:36 11/17/23) I do a bunch of carbs every year . A good while back and OLD parts store was closing . They had five big buckets of the OLD stuff before the EPA stuck there nose into things . They had no idea what to do with it , i did and gladly took them off there hands . this is the stuff you do not want to get on your hands or our clothes . The down side is bucket replacement . over time it seems to eat thru metal buckets . This stuff cleans , take a Holley aluim carb hang it off a piece of wire and i don't care what it looks like one slow down and back up it is almost like new . The only thing i have found it will not remove is this NEW Green what ever it is i have been finding in the float bowls and to get that out ya have to GRIND it out. The new stuff does not hold a candle to the old . The next down side to the old is it STINKS and the smell lasts for weeks.

Enjoy! Chlorinated hydrocarbons are neurotoxins that interfere with transmission of nerve impulses, especially in the brain, resulting in behavioral changes, involuntary muscle activity, and depression of the respiratory center.

(quoted from post at 23:05:14 11/19/23) My grandfather used K1 in his cleaner. I have soaked them in k1 or gas and then just used napas parts cleaner with pretty good results

Vinegar and water 50/50. It is the safest. CM

(quoted from post at 19:44:58 11/19/23)
(quoted from post at 23:05:14 11/19/23) My grandfather used K1 in his cleaner. I have soaked them in k1 or gas and then just used napas parts cleaner with pretty good results

Vinegar and water 50/50. It is the safest. CM

Vinegar will do a good job on oxides but as a solvent for gasoline residues you will be relying totally on your elbow grease, LOL.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back