Has anyone ever tried?

Mtjohnso

On the Farmall H, M and 300 and 350 and probably other models they had an adjustable Vbelt pulley for taking up the slack in the Vbelt.
The threads on the adjustable pulley are fine. There is a locking screw to hold it in place. However the adjustable pulley seems to be rusted or oxidized to where it will not move.
I have used heat from a propane torch and penetrating oil. No success yet
So one thought was to use an ultrasonic cleaner and put the pulley assembly in a gallon ziplock bag with ATF and a thinner to help penetrate and place in the ultrasonic cleaner. The cleaner heats to 50C and vibrates at 15Khz. Thinking that might allow the ATF to work down in the threads and loosen things up.
Thoughts? Crazy? maybe work?

On the Farmall H, M and 300 and 350 and probably other models they had an adjustable Vbelt pulley for taking up the slack in the Vbelt.
The threads on the adjustable pulley are fine. There is a locking screw to hold it in place. However the adjustable pulley seems to be rusted or oxidized to where it will not move.
So one thought was to use an ultrasonic cleaner and put the pulley assembly in a gallon ziplock bag with ATF and a thinner to help penetrate and place in the ultrasonic cleaner. The cleaner heats to 50C and vibrates at 15Khz. Thinking that might allow the ATF to work down in the threads and loosen things up.
Most of the time the penetrant and heat work enough that modest tapping with a brass or aluminum drift/strip from tighten to loosen (maybe 50 repeats) will break it loose. If I had it separated from the water pump, I would try that method. Jim

Home owner/plumber propane torches heat so slowly that both parts expand at the same rate. Take a 16oz hammer and pound sharply on the areas over the threads between the web lugs towards the center of the hub. Anything to jar the interface between the threads. Hopefully your US cleaner trick will work.

Do you have a raised lump on the opposite side from the set screw? That's where I put the brass punch to break it loose. Didn't even use heat or snake oil. Once it broke loose, it turned off by hand, then I wire wheeled the threads clean. Just make sure you back the set screw out far enough to clear the groove it's probably set into. The groove is covered by the threaded part. It's not obvious until you turn it off. I think there are 4 grooves so you can adjust it in 90 degree increments. This was on a Massey Harris, but it sounds like the same adjustable pulley. steve

Last edited:
I finally fabricated an adjustable idler pulley on one of my H's.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back