Cleaning out engine Block?

Plow Away

New User
I posted about a over heating problem on a 41 Farmall A and had some great feedback. I read some older messages, any people suggested to flush out the block? How do I go about doing this? Someone said put a hose in the top radiator inlet to flush out, is this what I need to do? Thanks for the help.
 
disconnect the radiator hoses from the motor, then flush the radiator separately from the engine, the flush the engine. see what comes out, stick the garden hose in one side, flush a while, then flush from the other direction. when you get all the big loose clinker out of there, hook the hoses back up, get some radiator and cooling system flush from napa, and put that in, follow the directions, the re flush the system. works pretty good.
 
If you really want it clean. (:^D

You could do as I did last Saturday.

Probly don't need it quite this clean.

StuckAllisCEngine001-vi.jpg
 
The way I do it is drain out the coolant. Then fill with vinegar and run it till good and warm. Let cool and with the radiator cap off rig up a hook up to the block drain and back flush it with a garden hose. Drain the vinegar where you not worried about it kill grass etc.
Hobby farm
 
In the old days we used Drano,back then it was pretty much lye,put a cup of lye in and run it for a while untill it warmed up,then drain it,sall kinds of gunk came out,
 
Hey thanks for the replies, I"m going to try and hose the block out and see if that helps. I"m just trying to avoid this farmall from getting so hot. I need her to keep running strong. Would the oil temp gauge show an indication of the tractor getting to hot? Or is that a totally differnt thing? Thanks
 
Oil temp is in fact relative to engine temp but will not show it 100% correct. I have run into the hot engine problem many times on theses old tractors and that is why I use the vinegar flush and it has worked well for me and cost very little to do. It takes care of the rust and lime build up that causes the problem with out hurting things
 
I used a heavy duty acid based cleaner I got at an auto parts store on a model 60 Oliver. I saw huge amounts of crud come out of it. Later when I tore it down to rebuild, pretty much the entire area around the rear cylinder was crud. It couldn't have had much circulation back there. When I removed the sleeve the water jacket looked like the sleeve was still there...
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top