Cleaning the 2N

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I have disassembled much of the 2N for repairs so I thought I would go ahead and give the body a coat of paint. This is a work tractor, not a show tractor and I am a paint can and foam brush kind of painter. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best clean the grease and dirt off so the paint sticks. Thanks again for all of the help.
 
I used "stripease",or I think that's the way it's spelled.you put it on with a brush,then wash it off with water.it's kinda slow[you can only strip a few feet at a time]Apply,rinse and repeat.It really cleans and the paint sticks good.---lha
 
On all the ones I've done, I knock off the heavy with scrapers and screwdrivers, hit it with a petro chemical degreaser like foamy engine bright or similar.. then power wash.. then hit it with a caustic soap style degreaser like purple stuff, etc.. then power wash again.

any loose paint on the cast i remove with a wire wheel or brush.

I then prime and paint the cast.

soundguy
 
I just stripped my 9N down to Bare Metal useing "Klean Strip" Airplane Stripper and Premium Sprayable Stripper, use about 2 1/2 gallons to strip every part to bare metal.
It took me a week of working on it in the evenings for about 3 hours each night for all of the small parts and front end parts and Most of a Sat. for the engine,trans and rear end.
If you don't want to strip it to bare metal you can Pressure wash it, Scuff it with the Brown Scotch brite pads,and spray on "BULL DOG" Adheision Promotor you can get it or a similar brand from any Automotive Paint store.
then you can break out your "Rattle Cans" and spray it it will stick for a while untill the old paint peels off from underneath it.
I used two coats of Epoxy Primer, Two coats of Epoxy Sealer, and then Single Stage Paint with with activator and hardener, which was the most exspensive way I could find to waste my money.
the red was almost $200. a gallon.
I am waiting for the next nice day above 70 to complete painting the engine, trans and Rear end.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top