clutch won't disengage

My hydrolic fluid has been leaking and now the clutch won't disengage. Does the hydrolic fluid have anything to do with the clutch? I adjusted the clutch last weekend and was able to use the tractor but today the clutch is not disengaging and won't let me put it in gear. I have a 1949 8N. Thanks for any replies...
 
Well yes and no hyd fluid could cause your problem but only because the hyd and tranny and rear end on an 8N is all the same so if your leak was/is the front seal of the tranny yes that could be your problem. But if you look in the archives you will find that it is common for a clutch to stick. A few things you can do that might work or #1 block the clutch pedal down and park it that way from now on. #2 if and only if you can do this safely start it in gear and drive it around with the clutch pedal held down and do so till it pops free. But as I said the archives are full of things to do about a sticking clutch
 
The hyd fluid has been leaking from the left lift arm. The level is low at this time. I just read a post about removing the starter and spraying brake fluid in and around flywheel. I guess letting the fluid get low would cause things to seize up. I am going to fill up the gearbox with hyd fluid and go from there. May try the petal lock down while driving too, if I can get started without stalling. Thanks for the speedy reply....
 
The hyd fluid has been leaking from the left lift arm. The level is low at this time. I just read a post about removing the starter and spraying brake fluid in and around flywheel. I guess letting the fluid get low would cause things to seize up. I am going to fill up the gearbox with hyd fluid and go from there. May try the petal lock down while driving too, if I can get started without stalling. Thanks for the speedy reply....
 
the fluid getting low didn't cause anything to sieze up specifically.. though some things might have swole up a bit.

do the brake cleaner bit and block the clutch while you are doing it.

the leak at the lower lift pin is only going to get worse tilly uo fix it.. and to do that you will be pulling the left axle trumpet..

soundguy
 
NOT brake fluid but spray brake cleaner. If you use brake fluid your going to have bigger problems on your hand so be sure the use BRAKE CLEANER spray
 
When I adjusted the clutch, I could have sworn this adjustment hadn't been moved since 1949. But with a little patience and some JB Blaster, I was able to move the buckle 1.5 rounds. If pulling the trumpet is going to be anything like this, I think I'll leave it up to someone else to do the job! Thanks for the replies and recommendations...
 
pulling the trumpet is straight forward.. just a bit heavy. if you have enough man power, and cribbing, you can take the wheel off and pull the trumpet intact brake and axle and all.. then tighten the nuts re cotter and go.

soundguy
 
Rick--

Don't fear taking off your axle trumpet to tighten that lift arm lug. If a mechanical moron like me can do it, you can too. You just have to have some way to suspend the loosened trumpet so you can handle it.

Also, just do like the old timers here say: dip your new gasket in hot water, and notice that the gasket goes on only one way--the stud holes are not equidistant.
 
I used the Brake Cleaner as suggested and it worked great. Pull the starter, make sure you keep the starter in the case or you'll learn to put brushes back in also. Ask me how i know. after you pull the starter, insert the little straw that comes with the brake cleaner can and bend in in a somewhat semi circle so that when you insert it you can spray around the the flywheel. I used 2 cans about 3 years ago and it hasn't stuck since. good luck.
 
while you are at it.. ensure the lil cotter pin drain hole in the bottom of the clutch bellhousing is open and can drain off leaked oil.. if it isn't.. the clutch will soak.

soundguy
 
Thanks for the reply... I had the starter off a few weeks ago to replace the solinoid and yes the starter came apart, brushes and all. Took me a while to get it back together. This was definately a learning experience. Thanks to all for the replies and helpful info...
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top