Cockshutt 550 diesel injection pump ( Cockshutt built)

ljm

I am working on a Cockshutt built 550 diesel.

The injection pump is an American Bosch PSB4a. The hydraulic head is a counter clockwise rotation with an 8mm plunger.

The plunger in the hydraulic head is twisted off.

If anyone has one, or has any suggestions where I might find one. I would really appreciate the information

Thanks in advance

Might as well post this on the Oliver and Cockshutt
forum. I think you are in for quite a hunt. Sounds like
finding a tractor setting somewhere that the owner
does not know about the pump deal may be you best
bet. I saw a Smokstak forum that said the Case, Oliver,
MM and Massey used that pump and they are basically
the same pump. So you have those different brands to
search for, but there is a rotation difference that you
need to be aware of. Maybe that is what I should do.
Start looking for those tractors and buy them then sell
the pump for 5 or $600. Then part them out. But that
is talk like another guy on here. Often when a pic of a
unique tractor or equipment comes up he pipes in
saying ..I want one.. I am betting he no more needs one
of each of them than a man in the moon, but he can
say whatever he wants. I just like to be a little more
honest towards reality with myself. Here is a link to the
Smokstak post.
Post with info

Hopefully DieselTech sees this - he usually watches this channel and he knows all
about these pumps. The PSB-4's were used in a pile of Masseys and Olivers, some
Cases, as well as Allis crawlers and several pieces of construction equipment. E-mail
me if you'd like a copy of the PSB-4A parts manual with breakdown diagrams and codes
for the different parts/rotations. Not that it will help you much - doesn't do much
good to know the part numbers if you can't find it.

I could be wrong, but it looks like the hydraulic head itself is the same regardless
of rotation, while parts like the drive gears and supply pumps change depending on
rotation. If that's the case, than you might have a little better luck finding one in
a wreckers, as you just have to find and PSB4 with the 8 mm plungers, regardless of
rotation. Part number would be HD-901-4A.

I'd start by finding the most old-fashioned diesel shops you can, then talking to the
oldest guys working there. Chances are they've seen one or two in their time, and
might have a better idea where to find parts.

The PSB heads were made in 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 9.0, and 10.0 MM plunger sizes for both 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Might have been an 8.5 MM too, but need to check my old books.
I don't recall any PSB pumps that the camshaft turned CCW, all I recall turned clockwise. The only main difference was which side the pump mounted on engine, so all
clockwise pumps had the head gear turning the same direction. What USUALLY breaks is the plunger, and sometimes the plunger guide GU 903 will be broken too. While the
ideal head you need is 8.0 MM size, any size head is better than nothing. Also be aware the taller reduced volume head is available on some models, AC dozers used the
four cylinder and the six was used on military and some Cockshutt tractors. Rebuilt heads were marked with AR on the head tag, but none have been exchanged for years that
I know of. The taller heads used a different drive gear and guide than the shorter heads used. They also had the head delivery valve on the side, not in the top center
like other heads used.

(quoted from post at 18:27:29 07/14/23) The PSB heads were made in 7.0, 7.5, 8.0, 9.0, and 10.0 MM plunger sizes for both 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Might have been an 8.5 MM too, but need to check my old books.
I don't recall any PSB pumps that the camshaft turned CCW, all I recall turned clockwise. The only main difference was which side the pump mounted on engine, so all
clockwise pumps had the head gear turning the same direction. What USUALLY breaks is the plunger, and sometimes the plunger guide GU 903 will be broken too. While the
ideal head you need is 8.0 MM size, any size head is better than nothing. Also be aware the taller reduced volume head is available on some models, AC dozers used the
four cylinder and the six was used on military and some Cockshutt tractors. Rebuilt heads were marked with AR on the head tag, but none have been exchanged for years that
I know of. The taller heads used a different drive gear and guide than the shorter heads used. They also had the head delivery valve on the side, not in the top center
like other heads used.

Thanks Diesel Tech

I must not have explained the rotation correctly. My head is marked as counter clockwise rotation. Or does the rotation of the head really matter? Is the arrow on them because of a difference in the plunger? or for another purpose?

My email is [email protected] If you are available I wouldn't mind picking your brain some.

Thanks
Lloyd

I am talking about pump CAMSHAFT rotation, I've never seen any PSB that turned counter clockwise which would reverse the head rotation too. All I've ever seen is all PSB
heads rotate the same way on any clockwise CAM pump no matter which side of engine pump bolts to. Heads are built with specific drive gear in mind for the number one fuel
outlet, and can't be reversed.

I should be able to help you. I do have a couple psb4 heads that were good cores. I also have a complete engine from a Massy Harris
44 diesel. It was a good running engine I was told. All of these are subject to being tested out on the test stand. I do know the
heads are not stuck or the quill broken. You can call me if interested. 231/757/0064

Good afternoon, I am working on an Oliver 880 with a
PSB6A pump, (6 cylinder version of your pump). My
plunger was not twisted off, however did have some
pitting on it. After calling multiple diesel shops, I found 2
places.

Spencer Diesel in Spencer IA 712/262/5267, I sent my
head here to have them look at it. Talk with John. Real
nice fella. He said him and another fella would look at my
head and deem it worthy or not to use.

Also Mylex International in MS somewhere 601/847/4222.
They can send the hydraulic heads for Bosch PSB pumps
to Venezuela to get reman. About 3 months turn around
time. I have visited them before on an Oliver 88 pump.
Very knowledgeable people.

Bailey @Antique Acres

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back