Coffing Hoist with Roller Chain

I've got a couple of old Coffing hoists that I'd like to use, but don't know as much as I'd like to about them.

Am looking for YT-ers with expertise, or at least experience, with this type of hoist.

These hoists are probably 60 years old or better, have heavy cast-iron ratcheting levers, and look like a come-along but have roller chain (like a
motorcycle drive chain) instead of cable to do the pulling. One has 3 or 4 feet of roller chain, and the other has about 10 feet of roller chain.

The one with the longer chain is snubbed right up, can't go up any farther. I can't seem to get it to go down (and yes, I have switched the small
lever from "up" to "down".) Is there some trick to getting the ratcheting action to reverse? Or is it just stuck from sitting around for the last
30+ years?

The one with the shorter chain seems to work OK, but until I know how to reverse this type of hoist I am hesitant to use either one of them.

Thanks for any help with these. They look like a good rugged tool that will be handy for a lot of heavy-lifting projects.

Roller chain hoists are as good as other hoists. It might be stuck from setting or it might be jammed, hard to say. When you are trying to lower it do you have it hung up? I would hang it and use another com-a-long or hoist to put a load on it (only hang the load a couple inches off the floor in case it drops suddenly and don't get your feet under it), then try using the handle to lower it. I have had some of all chain type hoists that are hard to break free for lowering after they set around a lot. Once moving they usually free up some. Be careful using penetrating or other oils as some have brakes that will be contaminated and could slip in use.

A web search turns up some Coffing manuals on line. Don't know your model but this may help https://www.cmworks.com/Public/20166/G Series Hoist G-680-3.pdf. If you have a model number on yours you can search for that model. Coffing is a part of Columbus McKinnon now as far as I know.

We use that type hoist at work. Take a 9/16 wrench and remove the handle. This will allow the chain to free wheel. Spray it good and start working the chain back and forth by hand. You will see how the ratchet works once you have it apart. Let me know how it goes

Pound for pound, those coffing hoists will lift WAY more than conventional link chain hoists or differential hoists!

Been using them for more than 40 years. Biggest was 15 Ton capacity. It only weighed about 150 lbs.

Just watch your fingers when you have to move them around.

I have been using one to true up my old post and beam barn. I get it where I want it then install cable with a turn buckle to take the load off from it.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I should have posted photos with my initial question -- might've made it easier to understand what knowledge I lack...

I haven't posted on this site for quite a while, but remember there used to be issues with uploading photos.

Here's an attempt at a picture
mvphoto42112.jpg

The serial number is stamped right where it's supposed to be. 1232H. There's also an S stamped just above the up/down selector switch.

Will upload a second pic if the first one goes through.

So, now that you all can see the tool we're dealing with, what is the purpose of the small (1") lever halfway up the handle, and what is the purpose of the round knob to the right of it that pulls up?
mvphoto42113.jpg

These pictures show the smaller of the two Coffing hoists that I have; the other one is at another site and is the one that's snubbed up all the way. I do have it hanging from a hook with a cinderblock suspended from it, but no movement yet. When time permits I'll have a look inside as Kenny suggested.

Thanks again for all your insight & suggestions.

Hopefully I'll be able to do some stump pulling before long!

The use of the knob and thumb latch use are covered in the operating section (section 3 pages 4 and 5) of the Coffing G-series Operating and Maintenance Instructions (with parts lists) publication I posted the link to. They have the descriptions and parameters of the Knob and thumb latch uses. It will be better for you to read it direct from the manual than me trying to copy it and miss something. You might want to save and print a copy of the manual for reference while using, maintaining, and repairing your hoists. They are good hoists.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back