Farmall Cub fertilizer attachment

crsutton81

We're trying to get the fertlizer attachment mounted onto my son's Cub with a fast hitch. I found the countershaft / clutch unit at a tractor show, but it is missing the brace and chain tightner that goes to the rear wheel. At this point I have not had any luck finding one, therefore I borrowed one from a friend to use as a pattern to make one. The particular one that is on loan is from an '48 or '49 year model Cub without Fast Hitch from the factory, that his dad bought new. Problem with it is the chain tightner strikes the Fast Hitch leveling crank tube before it is bolted down, therefore it distorts the drive chain alignment. My question is.....Was there a bracket / brace intended for tractors without a fast hitch and another style of brace intended for use in conjunction with a fast hitch ? If there is a different brace and someone has one, could you please provide some measurements for me ? Thanks in advance.
20240127_201640.jpg
20240127_203918.jpg

The catch is that these implements were designed/built before there was any such thing as a Fast-Hitch. They were modified for use with Fast-Hitch in place. You can see what the redesigned brace looks like in the parts catalog (CBI-2). The Owner's Manual for the fertilizer attachment may have a parts section. The dimensions for the holes at each end are identical to the earlier brace. The next catch is that the redesign was done for the lever style Fast-Hitch. It didn't work with the later style screw style, like yours. I don't believe they ever did a second redesign. People have done their own modification. Another option may be to remove the crank assembly and made a brace to hold the yoke in a fixed position while using the fertilizer unit.

The catch is that these implements were designed/built before there was any such thing as a Fast-Hitch. They were modified for use with Fast-Hitch in place. You can see what the redesigned brace looks like in the parts catalog (CBI-2). The Owner's Manual for the fertilizer attachment may have a parts section. The dimensions for the holes at each end are identical to the earlier brace. The next catch is that the redesign was done for the lever style Fast-Hitch. It didn't work with the later style screw style, like yours. I don't believe they ever did a second redesign. People have done their own modification. Another option may be to remove the crank assembly and made a brace to hold the yoke in a fixed position while using the fertilizer unit.
Thank you Jim. I had a suspicion that there maybe had been another brace that was used for tractors with a fast hitch.

This one was modified by a previous owner to work with a screw style hitch. Hopefully the clutter behind it won't make it too hard to see. Note the U-shaped section towards the rear (left) end.

brace.jpg

This one was modified by a previous owner to work with a screw style hitch. Hopefully the clutter behind it won't make it too hard to see. Note the U-shaped section towards the rear (left) end.

View attachment 3810
Thank you Jim for the picture. I found a black and white pic on the net of what it would look like. After further investigation, the chain tightner itself is also different for a non FH tractor, while a FH equipped tractor utilizes one like in your picture above.

Along with the design difference of the tensioner itself, it is also mounted more towards the front to keep it away from the Fast-Hitch components.

Along with the design difference of the tensioner itself, it is also mounted more towards the front to keep it away from the Fast-Hitch components.
This is a page from the online ops manual that I found pertaining to this brace when used with a Fast Hitch, in case someone else runs into this situation.
Page-02.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back