Cold Weather Tip

Steve MI

Member

This is not for accident prone people. Do not burn your tractor or garage down.

If you are praying for the tractor to start because you need it NOW, try warming up the manifold with a spotlight so the gas vaporizes instantly rather than trying to pull cold, heavy gas up into manifold and flooding the plugs.
With an almost dead battery quite often it will be enough to catch and run. If no electricity is available a torch will work but around gas it scares me to suggest it as I don't know if you have a gas leak. Even with the spotlight don't forget it where it shines on the carb or tank for a long time. Those heat lamps from TSC get HOT!
Have also found my automatic battery charger will never totally charge up a six volt battery. May be just mine but the manual charger even at four amps. works better. A slow charge is better than a quick boost. A 100 amp hour battery that is 50% discharged will take 50 hours at one amp to recharge at least but seems to work far better than a quick charge at high amps. Keep the battery super clean on top so it won't discharge thru the trash that builds up on top. Every time I refuel I take a gallon jug of water with a paint brush attached to clean the top off before I start it. If I work it heavy I clean it off when I finish also. Battery installed december of 2000 and still using it.
This has worked for me and might for you but PLEASE don't get hurt heating that manifold up. IT's too close to a holiday to spend it in a hospital or at a homeless shelter.
 
Hey all, I put a piece of cardboard in front of part of the radiator, to ge the engine temp up. Helps to boil of any moister, and runs a lot better. Keep an eye out so it dont overheat. I have a temp gauge on mine.
 
i was at xmas party 2 yr ago and when we were to leave it was -12.
no cars would start!
used a hair dryer on carbs and blew hot air in intake on fuel injected cars
all started in a few min
 
I recall the success my Dad had by getting a teakettle full of boiling water from the wood stove and pouring it over the carb and manifold... It would start and run... but didn't have the power to run with the clutch out pulling the transmission in neutral till it warmed a bit.

Also for those that don't do this in the summer, be sure to keep the clutch pedal down when cold starting. Less load to deal with.

duey
 
Remember to always start yer tractor in REVERSE so yer frozen tires don't rotate yer tractor over ontop of you.

Magnetic block heater on intake manifold will maker start like summertime. Better'n radiator heaters.

Also warm batterys always put out more power than cold batterys. They even sell electric battery heaters that are thin plate to the side of the battery. Can make you think yer 6-volt battery is 12-volts.

A good tune-up also is imperative to successful and eazy cold weather starting.........Dell
 
Many years ago as a young soldier, I had the honor & privledge of serving w/ a number of WWII & Korean War vets. I wish I had paid closer attention to the cold weather lessons these guys learned from surviving the Bulge, Stalingrad (some of these guys were German!) or the "Frozen Chosin" in Korea. As a field radio operator (MOS O5B4S for you Army vets) I spent many a night w/ batteries in my sleeping bag or inside my field jacket. W/ a secondary MOS of 11B4S (heavy weapons) I can personally testify to what standard lube oil looks like on a weapon at -10*. It looks like plastic. While it rarely gets below 0* here in my part of Va, I've learned to keep the Battery Tender on the N's for the few really cold nights we have. A warm battery will do the trick!
50 Tips
 
"Remember to always start yer tractor in REVERSE so yer frozen tires don't rotate yer tractor over on top of you."

Dell , I always start it in neutral , he he , but I know what you were meaning . Its not to often someone gets to jerk your chain - Ken(Ark)
 
The coldest we have had so far was one morning at -18. Everything in shape starts ok unless it is a Diesel. I keep my tractors tuned up with good 6 volt batteries so the kids can start them so I don't have to go out in the cold.
 
Hey there all;
PLEASE BE CAREFULL I just read in the
local free paper,where some fellow was
snow-plowing his driveway and his tractor
slid off the side of the driveway rolled
over on him and he was killed.Only 57
yrs.young. Once again PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!
Bob
God Bless
 
I sure hope no one would put any type of incandescent light around gas,,, taint good,,, if gas comes in contact with the blub,,, mite as well light a torch you will git the same fire,,, all mine are 12Vs and far rite off,,,, do not haveta put up with the dreaded 6Vs
 
As Cowman below said: Get a tank heater. Easy and cheap. Another way is to throw a tarp over the hood so it comes all the way to the ground. Stick a torpedo heater in between the rear wheels pointed to the front. You can get the whole tractor hot to the touch that way.
 
LOL..Sorry guys, when It gets real cold out I park the 8n in the HEATED GARAGE.(thermistat set to 40F)

Starts First time Every time.....
 
good to see all these tips. duey has the better way to heat it up quick and safe in an emergency situation. Mine normally starts but I read about a lot of flooded plugs and low batteries. Vaporizing the fuel on an updraft carb will keep you from fooling with plugs even warming the air cleaner helps. If it sits outside even turning the tractor so the sun hits the manifold will warm it on a cold day.
 
I won't sit in a muffler repair shop when I can see a kid cutting and welding next to the tank from fifty feet away. Hope everyone realizes when I said I hesitate to suggest a torch as I don't know if you have a gas leak that this is SATIRE meaning don't do something stupid.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top