computor questions

Leroy

Just question on how to get computor to block unwanted or junk emails. Some are just
unwanted, stores that never had my email, Not delt with for 18 years supposedly cannot
block them. And others only option is allow, this is bad emails, don't even want to
open but cannot delete them without opening afraid of a virous, no way showing to
block. My computor repair man says no way to block like the store not delt with for 18
years yet a lot of days I get 3 emails a day from them and usually at least one every
day. Fills up the junk fast.

Depending on your email client you can apply filters to automatically move emails that come from certain sources to the trash.

On Thunderbird for example, you can set it up to automatically recognize junk email based on you clicking on the little "fire" icon next to the message, and tell it what to do with those emails, up to and including deleting them. It will "learn" based on what you "burn" and eventually move the messages itself.

Simply opening the email won't give you a virus as long as you don't click on any links in the email, or open any attachments.

When you bring up your email list in AOL mail there's a small square box next to each email listed. If an email looks like spam click on the square and a check appears in the square and a choice of options appears. Click on ''More'' and another choice of options appears. Click on ''Spam'' and the email disappears from your email list. Future emails from the same sender automatically go to the ''Spam'' folder.

Might seem complicated but it's easy once you've done it a few times. I would think all email services offer a similar procedure.

Leroy, which email do you use? It will help others with specific ways of dealing with your problem. We don't need your address, just the @gmail, or @yahoo, etc. There are ways to specify those emails as spam, and the computer will do the work of relegating them to the trash. Some of the sites you may be able to go to the bottom of the email and push the unsubscribe button, but that may not always work, and could be a trick. I'm not an expert at this but I have an expert just down the road who cares for our grandsons when they're not here harassing grandpa. steve

If you scroll to the bottom of those unwanted E-mails, there will be a "click here to unsubscribe" or "click here to be removed from list".

It is required by law.

You can block them however it may not do any good, the spamers have a way to take legitimate addresses to send the spam from. You could block one of them every day for months and still get them. I have a few I've been blocking for years.

On those kind of emails, I think the unsubscribe just tells them that its a good address and they can sell it to other spammers. I just mark them as spam and delete spam every week or so.

Depending on what operating system is on your computer, the browser you use, and the email system you use, you should be able to adjust your security settings. In Windows 11 it is: Settings/ Privacy and Security /

My spam filter is set fairly tight, and I am happy with the result. Check your spam box to see what it stops. You can mark some sources you want to keep as NOT SPAM.

If all else fails, contact in-house IT (spouse, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc.), ignore their eye rolls.

I have dot found it and neither has the computor repair person I use and he started building computors over 40 years ago. So he should know what he is doing. Off till later part of Oct because of health problems.

I have tried many a time and the computor repair man has tried blocking J C Penny many
a time and cannot stop them, up to 3 emails a day. Ithers do not have that spot to
block

Leroy, I guess it might be time to consider opening a new email account. You'd have to alert all your desired correspondents to the change, although that might be worth the effort. It would depend a lot on how many people you desire to get emails from. steve

I tried getting a new email acount because watch was loosing so many of my daily emails but found the new one Gmail has to go thru watch for me to get it so still not getting the mised emails. Supposed to get statment from bank every day. would miss as high as 5 in a row.

Legitimate businesses are required to provide an unsubscribe link on their marketing emails, and can be fined by the FTC if they don't provide a link or don't honor unsubscribe requests. I've found it sometimes takes a couple of days, but in most cases it works to click on unsubscribe. So, if you think the email is from a legitimate business, so ahead and click the link. It will be at the bottom of the message in very small print, but it should be there.

In the case of true spam emails, clicking an unsubscribe link will just confirm to the spammer that your address is legit. But it's not like they would stop using it otherwise. If you don't recognize the sender, it's probably best not to click on unsubscribe.

As for how to filter out spam and clean it up from your inbox, there's no way to answer those questions accurately without knowing who your email provider is and what email client you use. For example, I have two email accounts, one with my ISP and the other with Gmail. And I use three different clients with my ISP account and two different clients with Gmail. So in my case there are five different answers to your questions.

With most email clients it's possible to delete emails without opening them. Opening an email shouldn't be risky as long as you've turned off the option to automatically load images in your client. Generally that's turned off by default. And of course you should never click on a link in a suspicious message. But if you want to delete an email without opening it, turn off the preview feature in your client; then you can select and delete the email without ever opening it.

(reply to post at 01:12:14 09/29/23)
Your likely suffering one of the major pitfalls of using the email services that come with an internet provider.

Especially a small time internet provider who does not have the resources to make timely updates to their email service.

Although I have had a dozen +/- internet providers since 1995,
I have never used any email service provided by them.
Once you do you feel obligated to never change internet providers weather they are good or bad.

You need to consult a different computer guy/gal/person.
Sometimes 40 years doing means 35 years of outdated knowledge.

I have seen (barely) some really sneaky ways to virtually hide the unsubscribe link in business emails.
Usually way at the bottom in teeny tiny print.
Sometimes in a light grey font that is very hard to see as well.

Use the unsubscribe button for most effect against sales spam. Other than stopping them at the source with unsubscribe it depends on what your client is.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back