Coolant coming out of exhaust

David T.

New User
I have been using my 1966 Massey Ferguson 165 diesel tractor for about 10 years very successfully and with few problems. It has the Perkins dry sleeve AD4-203 engine.
This spring, the first time I used it, coolant came out of the exhaust stack. The most common diagnosis is that it has a head gasket leak. Does anyone have experience with this problem? Is there another possible explanation?
If it is the head gasket, is it difficult to take the head off and replace the gasket? Where can I get a replacement gasket? Is there any special trick to doing the replacement?
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you. David T.

Are you sure it was coolant out your stack? How does your oil look? Is it milky or is there coolant in it? Any other issues like overheating or missing?

Head gasket replacements are available, but it's also not a real quick fix, so you will want to make sure that's actually your issue before you start in on it. Do you have a shop manual and a good set of tools?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back