coolant in oil?

alderman

Before we tore engine of 44d down to replace rings and pistons there was no coolant in the oil pan. Now after we have replaced rings and pistons I notice grayish colored oil on the dip stick. Also showing above the add mark on the stick. As this has just recently been put back together I have no antifreeze in the radiator, just straight water. New head gasket was installed and torqued to specs. How and what can we do to determine what went wrong? No white smoke when running and for that matter it has only been run for maybe a total of a half an hour since putting back together. Can hydraulic fluid get into crank case as well? I have no clue how to determine if its water or not. Any ideas would be great.

It would be water in your oil makeing it the mikly color.When you pulled out the pistons did any of the liners move up.If they did it disturbed the o-rings on the bottom of the liners and the coolant is going past the o-rings.The only other spot that I can think of water getting into the oil side is if the head gasket did not seal properly.I would take the oil pan off and fill it with water and see where it is running donw inside the engine.I have a 55 that seeps by the o-rings on a liner when the engine is cold when it is running it does not leak.

Thanks alot for your response...I will check that out this weekend. Hopefully it is somethng that won't warrant going any deeper into this thing than I already have. I did however have another random thought that maybe it got throughthe exhaust what with all the ran we have had here ths sprng.

When you say the head was torgued to specs, did you recheck it after the engine was brought up to operating temps? Were the sleeves up a few thousandths over the top of the block? They need to be up around 3-4 thousandths so the head gasket seals properly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back