Coolant Leaking At Rear Main Seal

I have a '55 850 and there is coolant leaking at the top center of where the engine and transmission meet. The engine did freeze one winter and freeze plugs popped out directly above this leak (forward of the battery holder), and on the left side as sitting in the seat. Both of those were replaced but the leak remained. I thought the block had a crack, but when I tore into the area (removed the battery holder and other items to get a clear view), the water is coming up from an area I call a "divot" right at the top where the engine and tranny meet (below the freeze plug). Instead of trying to break the tractor in half and replace the seal, I am thinking about cleaning this area up to bare metal and filling this "divot" which is about 1.5 inches wide, about 3/4 inches front to back, and about 1/2 inch deep (why I call it a divot) with JB Weld to see if it will keep the coolant from coming out. Then I thought I would put some coolant sealer in the radiator to see if it can help stop the leak.

Has anyone tried anything like this before and did it work? I just don't have the resources to break her in half.

Thanks!

Scott V.

If I'm understanding you correctly it sounds like you replaced the freeze plug in the back of the head. There is also a plug in the back of the block that is partially covered by the transmission bell housing that has a tendency to rust out over time from the outside due to dirt and battery acid collecting there and no way of cleaning it out easily. It is the brass plug in my picture. Could this be the "divot" you are talking about? I was swapping engines when I took this picture and I always replace that plug with a brass one whenever I split a tractor of that vintage since it is easy to do then regardless of how it looks. I've never done it myself but there are several people on this board that say they have replaced that plug with the tractor all bolted together, it just takes a little more finesse to get it pressed into the proper position.

Attachments

• 20210705_125511.jpg
    20210705_125511.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 50
Greg - YES! That is exactly where the water is coming out. I didn't even realize there was a freeze plug there - now that I'm looking at the "bigger picture" it's as plain as day - thanks! Now for the "finesse" attempt, wish me luck! :)

If you could get it clean it would work but you will not be able to get it clean enough, and then you will just have another obstacle. HoboNC has posted a way that he has replaced this plug without a split.

Hemmjo,

Wow, what a generous offer - I would love to take you up on in. my email address is "[email protected]". If you'll ping me I'll send you my address. I'm southeast of Sherman Texas near Tom Bean Texas.

Thank You Sir and the pictures and instructions on the link are fantastic - I can't thank you enough!

Scott V.

If you could get it clean it would work but you will not be able to get it clean enough, and then you will just have another obstacle. HoboNC has posted a way that he has replaced this plug without a split.
Thank You! I'll take a look at "HoboNC"'s post. Between him/her and Hammjo, I should have this tractor working again soon.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back