Cost to over haul 1956 Ford 660 PTO

Satohbill

What would i expect to pay to get the PTO Overhauled in my 660 Ford. Don't know exactly what's wrong with it. It just stopped while I was bush Hogging. I am just looking at the worst case scenario.

Hard to say without more info.
Could be something in the transmission, or
in the rear end or it could just need a new
clutch - the most likely cause.
What did it do when it quit?
Dit it stop quickly? Lose power and slowly
quit?
Any noises?

(quoted from post at 09:17:07 08/09/22) Hard to say without more info.
Could be something in the transmission, or
in the rear end or it could just need a new
clutch - the most likely cause.
What did it do when it quit?
Dit it stop quickly? Lose power and slowly
quit?
Any noises?
One minute I was bush hogging and the next minute it stopped. No warning sound.

I had a five speed with the live PTO two stage clutch that would pop itself out of gear. In other words the lever would move forward and disengage. It turned out the PTO shaft thrust assembly right on the tail was worn. The big C clip was broke. Easy fix.
With the tractor off, check if you can push pull the PTO shaft in and out. It should not.
Lots easier than splitting the tractor.

This post was edited by Tom in Mo. on 08/09/2022 at 02:23 pm.

Good advice.
I didn't think about the circlip and pto
shaft moving in and out.
Satohbill, do as Tom suggests.
Post back with your results.

(quoted from post at 14:22:14 08/09/22) I had a five speed with the live PTO two stage clutch that would pop itself out of gear. In other words the lever would move forward and disengage. It turned out the PTO shaft thrust assembly right on the tail was worn. The big C clip was broke. Easy fix.
With the tractor off, check if you can push pull the PTO shaft in and out. It should not.
Lots easier than splitting the tractor.

This post was edited by Tom in Mo. on 08/09/2022 at 02:23 pm.
Nice try but the PTO shaft does not push or pull. Whats next test??

If it has a 2 stage clutch and 2 clutch discs I'd say worst case is splitting the tractor and installing a new clutch.
Try turning the PTO shaft by hand with the tractor off, then while turning it have someone move the PTO engagement lever and see what you feel. See if you can feel the splines engage and disengage.

(quoted from post at 18:18:17 08/10/22) If it has a 2 stage clutch and 2 clutch discs I'd say worst case is splitting the tractor and installing a new clutch.
Try turning the PTO shaft by hand with the tractor off, then while turning it have someone move the PTO engagement lever and see what you feel. See if you can feel the splines engage and disengage.
his thread is somewhat funny.......he asked about cost & no one even ventured a guess....only , "maybe it is this or that". :?:

Well Jmor, based on his input do you have
an answer for him?
He asked the cost of 'overhauling the pto'.
What does that entail?
Is the problem the circlip as described by
Tom in MO? The pto clutch as described by
others?
Could it be a sheared off shaft in the
transmission?
Maybe a stripped spline or broken coupler?
Possibly a busted pto shaft?
Inquiring minds want to know...

Satohbill, it appears to me that you are putting the cart before the horse. PTO problems on these old Fords can be caused by a problem in two entirely separate parts of the tractor. Before thinking of cost one needs to know which part the problem is in. If your pick-up truck won't move which do you do first? Call the transmission repair shop for an estimate? or check that the parking brake is on?

(quoted from post at 01:46:33 08/11/22) Well Jmor, based on his input do you have
an answer for him?
He asked the cost of 'overhauling the pto'.
What does that entail?
Is the problem the circlip as described by
Tom in MO? The pto clutch as described by
others?
Could it be a sheared off shaft in the
transmission?
Maybe a stripped spline or broken coupler?
Possibly a busted pto shaft?
Inquiring minds want to know...
o argument from me. Could be one or more of those things, maybe something we haven't thought of, but as for $, I expected that he might be considering whether a fixed tractor would be worth the cost of shop charges & just looking for some idea of $. Maybe I was wrong, but since no one else would step in, I'll venture that if it it is anything more than the cir-clip, & it goes to a shop, he will drop more than $1,000 to get it out the door...likely more. Exactly why we work on our own tractors. Two weeks ago, I witnessed $825 to change water pump & all was labor except $47 . Most all the possibilities mentioned are a lot more labor than a water pump. True enough, if he wants a real firm estimate, he need the shop doing the work too provide that.

I was thinking about how much I would
charge to install a new double clutch in
his tractor. Not that I would ever do it
for hire mind you...
Didn't look up any prices. Just picking
numbers from thin air.
Double clutch kit $500 with shipping?
Does it need the flywheel resurfaced?
Do the ring gears on those often need to be
replaced? Don't have a guess on that plus
oxy/acet to change it.
Orings from CNH maybe $25 plus shipping?
Is he delivering it and picking it up at my
garage?
Lastly is your labor.
It would be interesting to hear from others
on a simple split and double clutch on a
660. No flywheel or ring gear work.
Could you do it in 8 hours? Does it have
power steering? I don't know the 4 bangers
as well. On a bet I probably could. A
tractor shop could do it quicker - and
probably for less than I would want.
But $12-1500 pretty easy at a ma an pa shop
and higher if you had to do all the
extraneous stuff I mentioned.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back