Craig's list question

Charlie M

I occasionally look at Craig's list ads to see if anybody is selling anything interesting and to chuckle at many of the prices. I've seen some ads for goats not to far away a few times I was interested in. I noticed most ads don't contain a phone number. I understand that if you don't want a lot of idiots calling you. So is the only way to respond to an ad with no phone number is to use the reply button at the top of the screen or is there something I am missing? I tried that on two different ads last summer and never heard anything. I just saw another ad, quite possibly at the same place as the one I tried to respond to last summer based on the general location Craig's list shows. You've got to respond to something if you want to sell something.

yep!!! I sell a little stuff on Facebook Market place and Craigslist. Always put a phone number and say, text preferred, or call and leave a message and I'll call you back. Then someone posts, I'm interested, what's your phone number?

Craigslist is a seller's market. So if they already sold it, you probably will never hear from them. And for some sellers, deleting an ad is apparently a chore, so the ad stays up for the full two months or so until Craigslist automatically deletes it.

When you compose a for sale item on Craigslist there is an option on how you want to be contacted. You can specify an email and/or phone number that can only be accessed by someone clicking on the reply button. That keeps your phone number from being visible to anyone that looks at the ad and keeps a robot from collecting your phone number. If you see an ad that does not have the phone number visible, click on reply. If the seller doesn't want you calling, the phone number won't be there.

Yes. As a rule of thumb initially I only respond thru Craigslist email. I never list my number.
Use a separate email account unless you want your primary one "out there" When you respond to whoever, they now have your email address. You now have theirs. If they email their number, their chances of dealing with me are greatly improved.

Be prepared for the; what is your address, what is the least would you take group.

I dont respond to those.

I always put my phone number,too. I hate jumping through hoops to buy something so I make it easy on someone buying from me. My goodness we used to advertise in the newspaper classifieds.......had to have a phone number. Home phone! Easy for someone to get your address...... We lived through it. Lol

I used to put my phone number in ad but I was getting all kind of scam texts that I think was coming from robo programs. Now I just use my email and I put a photo of my phone # in the 2nd photo. Photo says call or text and has my number. Have not had a scam text since I started doing that.

Up here for Kijiji (same as Craigs List, etc) the emails between seller and buyer are scrambled by the Kijiji computer. You can email back and forth but you never really see an email address, just a bunch of scrambled letters and numbers not in email format. A lot of sellers nowadays say in the ad "NO EMAILS" ..... I think for the simple reason they simply don't use their emails much or ever. Phone or texting seems to be the choice these days.

Whenever I see something advertised with an unreasonably low price and an email address plastered across the picture, I assume it is a scam and report it.

Yes sir, but times have changed, the cons always try to find a way to stay ahead of the game. Welcome to the world of modern technology.enter at own risk. When your phone gets hacked and mysterious charges appear on you cards. You tend to be cautious. A telephone number and a address is a very good start. It happened to me.

My favorite scam so far is someone asking for my full legal name and address so a check can be mailed to me for an old tractor with bad tires and engine.

what i have ran into is clicking the email response. i have found i have to use the email service that i have for the email to go thru. if i don't get an answer in 24hrs, i go back an use another email server. actually i have found that not all emails get thru to the poster! i always list my phone number and put texts preferred! I've bought 100's of things on CL and have never been burned once!

If there's something I'm interested in and there's no phone number I don't bother emailing. Tried email and seldom get a response so I just got tired of wasting time with email. Also, I see often where the seller wants you to email your phone number - sure won't bother with that either.

It’s the same way with market place on Facebook. People advertise and don’t put a location or a price. When you message them they say, “Oh, Facebook doesn’t allow prices.” To which I reply,” There’s at least ten ads before yours that has a price listed.” I usually get no further response.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back