Cub Cadet 2205 (MTD) engine problem

Hi All
I usually hang out on the tool talk forum but need some Cub Cadet help... it's a 2206 machine with a 20 hp Kohler command engine. over the past 18 months I've replace the right head gasket twice (high oil consumption, fouling plugs) and that went fine.

lately I've had a problem with (first) rough engine running... found to be bad gas (water)... flushed the system, tank, lines, cleaned the carb and it worked much MUCH better.

Now the problem (second) it starts and runs fine for about 20 minutes.. plenty of power, cuts well.. then it will start to loose power, sometimes sputter, sometimes backfire then die like you cut off the switch.

The only way to restart is to choke it full and it usually runs a few seconds then dies again...

some more info...

if you wait an hour or so... it will repeat the whole cycle...

checked compression 150 on left side, 90 on the right (which ain't close enough)..

then choking makes me think fuel but the carb, lines filter and tank are clean and good gas with Stabil blue is in it. I'm wondering if maybe the oil pressure kill switch might be flaky or could it be ignition (magnetos heating up...) I'm at a loss and need an experts opinion..

thanks for letting me vent and looking forward to your suggestions

john

First of all 60lbs difference between cyl is too much . I think that I woulld first determine what was causing the drop , rings or valves.

Sounds like you may possibly have valve problems you might check that they are seating properly and moving like they are supposed to

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back