Cultipacker bearing

I have a 10ft Dunham cultipacker that needs bearings. When I took it apart I was suprised to have octagon shaped WOODEN bearings in there ! ( maybe bushing would be more accurate)
Any way does anyone know if these can be purchased or will I have to fab them myself ?
This really surprised me as this implement dosent appear to be that old, I thought maybe from the 1960s.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks
 
Actually for the use intended these wooden bushings do very well. If you are going to redo them, use black locust or Osage orange. An interesting aside- the U.S. Navy uses a wood (Lignum Vitae, tree of life) from South America as a bearing surface on long prop shafts. Apparently, no other material can match it for its ability to hold oil, not corrode, and its hard surface.
 
Depending where you are, a lot of the wood bearings in this area were made with apple wood. Some with oak but the apple seemed to work a lot better.
 
Well they say your never to dang old to learn something. LOL did not know about these wooden bearings being used. Interesting
 
On my 8' Brillion I rebuilt the bearing with PVC pipe. Several pieces cut to slid within eachother to get the proper inside and outside diameters. Haven't had any problems with it in over a decade. Did drill holes through the PVC to let the grease get all the way in. Mike
 
Rock Hard Maple is what was used in the 30s and 40s. Around here at least. Also used on straw walker cranks in threshing machines and combines.
 
I was a repairman of commercial laundry equipment several years ago and some of the washing machines had wood bearings where the parts would be in water. The water provided the lubrication. I did not replace any of them
 
I bought an old wheelbarrow, it needed a new
bearing. When I took it apart i found that it
had a wood one. It had a patent number cast into
the cast iron wheel. I looked it up, and found
that the bearing was hard maple, "boiled in
mutton tallow". I replaced it, however with a
bronze bushing, which i machined and pressed in
place. The wheel had a zerk fitting in the hub,
so I drilled a hole in the bushing to line up
when pressed in.I could have grooved the inside
for a grease channel, but didn"t think that a
wheelbarrow needed it.
 


I just bought some. It takes two per side per axle. That's 4 for one row of packer wheels and 8 for two rows. I think they are $4 each.

Leinbach Machinery
5000 Reynolda Road Winston-Salem N.C. 27106
9125 Hwy 67 East Bend N.C. 27018
(336) 924-4115

There is a toll freee number but i do not have it handy
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top