Cut-out to voltage regulator conversion

gldebr

New User
I need help! I am restoring a 1941 Farmall H and want to convert from the cut-out relay to a voltage regulator. My generator # is 1101355. I can"t find anyone who knows what I need to do this. nnalert has a regulator listed as the one for the conversion, but when I asked if it needed an external field resistor, they told me I can"t convert and must stay with a cut-out. Anyone have the straight skinny on this?

Go CAR QUEST give them your gen# and they will have a reg for that gen. You are correct you need the regulator for the correct gen that you have as yours is an original. Does your cut-out work you can ground the field and that will make it charge then by setting the third brush you can adjust how many amps you want the gen to charge. Check with an OHM meter for ground making sure the gen is grounded and also the cut-out has ground the lite sw also needs to be clean where it fastens to the lite sw area that box also must have a good ground Its easy with a meter one lead to ground on the batt and use other probe to go to each componet making sure all have ground. good luck you are one of the few who knows he needs the gen# for the reg. Car Quest regs are USA

With due respect, the person you talked to at nnalert is an idiot(!) Changing from a cut-out to a VR is straightforward.

A good place to buy a VR is from this site. Or Agri-Services (www.wiringharnesses.com). If you can get an American made VR. The India/China made VR's are cheaper, but they have durability issues.

----

Here's a wiring diagram. A few pointers:

- With the voltage regulator, the field resistor on the light switch is not used. Disconnect and remove the wire from it.

- If your H has a magneto, omit the connection between the regulator "L" terminal and the ign switch shown in this diagram.

- For best charging system performance, set the generator's adjustable brush (the "3rd brush") as close to the nearest fixed brush as it will go.

- Make sure the voltage regulator is SOLIDLY grounded. A dedicated ground wire between the regulator base and good chassis ground is recommended!
02-6vSHandSMstock-rev04_17_08_08-1.gif

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back