Cuttin up a round bale.

Howdy, My neighbor gave me 4 large old round bales that I want to cut up into pieces and feed into my chipper shredder. I have seen old hay saws but don't have access to one. What is the best way to chop these up?

Thanks!
 
I"ve never chopped one up. But they will unroll in large chunks which may be easier to handle and feed into the chopper.
 
chain saw will work the best ,this way you can custom cut it to feed into your hopper of sherdder
 
(quoted from post at 14:03:17 04/01/08) chain saw will work the best ,this way you can custom cut it to feed into your hopper of sherdder

Thanks Guys, I was thinking chainsaw but wouldn't have thought to stand it on end.

Lotsa knowledge on this board. About anything a fella wants to know he can find out here.

Randy
 
if you use a chain saw, cut with the top of the bar, otherwise the hay will wrap on the sprocket and stall the saw.
 
well if your just gonna throw it into a shredder...do you hav acces to a good powerful tractor with a good chopper with a hay head? i chopped some weedy bales up for bedding with a JD 4020 and JD 3940 chopper. all i did was figured out which way the bale was rolled up and unrolled it and used a pitchfork to unroll it.

otherwise i say use a chainsaw or a crosscut saw
DF in WI
 
i use a chain saw i filed the rakers off an older chain cuts through it faster than i can drop the saw i cut them right down the middle
 
"Where in the world do ya find a 3 ft. Sawzall blade?" I'd like to know that as well. I am getting tired of having to by four foot ones and cutting them down to size.
 
Are they grass or alfalfa? I cut a bunch of round bales up with a chainsaw about twenty years ago, and from what I remember the grass bales wanted to wrap up on the saw drive sprocket, but the alfalfa bales didn't give any trouble. I finally had to replace the crankshaft seal in the saw because of the wrapping from the grass.

I stood the bales on end, quartered them and then pitched them through an old sileage chopper and fed it to the stock cows. I called it my poor man's tub grinder. Jim
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top