Nat

I have an early D-10 SN 1126. It is or has been converted to 12 V. It starts and runs like a champ and as far as I can tell it is charging fine since I have started it many times and it hasn't run the battery down but gauge doesn't work. It is currently Positive ground. Looking at the Owners manuel for D-10 SN 3501 and up the wiring diagram shows a 12V battery with the Negative post hooking to solenoid switch and the positive post grounded but the first paragraph says heavy cable from POSITIVE terminal to starter solenoid switch. Which is what ? Am I supposed to be positive ground or negative ground? If it is supposed to be negative how do I change it? I know my wording is a bit disjointed but that is the only way I know to say it. Thanks, Nat

(quoted from post at 07:33:35 08/02/22) generator

Early D10s were 6-volt positive ground, later ones 12-volt positive ground. The good thing with generator charging systems is they can be polarized to either ground. If yours is working with positive ground, there is no functional reason to change it. You can use a voltmeter across the battery terminals to see if it is charging 13 plus volts when at a high idle. If it is, the ammeter may be defective and need to be replaced. There is also the possibility the battery wire from the regulator has been put on the wrong terminal of the ammeter. If it is on the same terminal of the ammeter as the battery wire from the starter solenoid, generator current is not passing through the ammeter and the ammeter will not show what the generator is doing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back