D15 new clutch adjustments

I finally got the clutch put in my D15, but the pedal free travel is a bit further than it should be, and I am out of threads on the clutch adjusting rods. The adjusting screws for the release levers on the old assembly were cranked right down on the stop nuts, but the ones on the new assembly are out about an eighth of an inch. Can I tighten those adjusting screws through the observation hole without causing a problem, and will that reduce the clearance between the release bearing and the release levers.

Thanks for any advice.
Pete

Are you having a problem with the clutch disengaging?

If NOT, the pedal will gradually rise as the clutch parts wear in and continue to wear.

At this point I'd try to adjust the finger height only as a last resort, be careful to move them exactly the same amount and lock tightly.

(quoted from post at 20:13:53 04/01/23) I finally got the clutch put in my D15, but the pedal free travel is a bit further than it should be, and I am out of threads on the clutch adjusting rods. The adjusting screws for the release levers on the old assembly were cranked right down on the stop nuts, but the ones on the new assembly are out about an eighth of an inch. Can I tighten those adjusting screws through the observation hole without causing a problem, and will that reduce the clearance between the release bearing and the release levers.

If the clutch releases when depressed clear down, LEAVE IT ALONE !! That is what you want because as it wears in, that distance diminishes. Most people don't understand that.

Thanks Wore Out and Dr Allis. I think it will probably release with it the way it is. I hope to finish getting the tractor back together today, then I'll know for sure. I mostly wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to split it again to properly adjust something before I did that.
Pete

The clutch does disengage just fine, but it does feel odd to have it adjusted so low. I'll probably be able to adapt though. Thanks again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back