INT 504 clutch

Roscoe22

New User
Have installed new clutch disc and pressure plate in INT 504. Flywheel was resurfaced, step was set at 1.188 per IH book. Replaced four puck disc with woven disc. Clutch will not release no matter how I adjust linkage. Even with the 3 fingers touching throw out bearing (Not good) clutch still will not release. Clutch disc is in correctly, not backwards. Have split tractor twice, see no damage to disc or pressure plate. Clutch fingers were not set when I received clutch (lock nuts loose). Tried to set fingers with 1/8 inch gap to no avail. Have tried several different adjustments on clutch fingers but still does not release. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Releasing may be happening technically, but the disc may be pressed up against the flywheel. from spline
interference on the clutch shaft. The wear step from the old disc can cause it. Jim

(quoted from post at 16:17:23 08/31/22) Releasing may be happening technically, but the disc may be pressed up against the flywheel. from spline
interference on the clutch shaft. The wear step from the old disc can cause it. Jim
lywheel was just ground,step per specs,so no step from old disc,that's why I split the second time,old disc was a 4 puck,not a woven,. Doesn't Look like lfingers are lifting pressure plate very much at all,even when adjusted too close to throw out bearing.Tractor not worked hard,clutch kit came with woven,old style disc,would I be better off with the puck style?Thanks Butch

Rosco, welcome to YT. If I had to split the tractor
because it did not release and the clutch came to me
with the lock nuts loose I would have been getting a
different pressure plate before I put it back together.
There is a proper way to adjust the fingers but you
need a manual and possibly a special tool to do it.
Depending on the exact process there may be
someone on here the knows a work around. You have a
cover down there, can you see if the clutch is releasing
pressure on the lined plate when it is pushed down. If
you have a level hard surface you could loosely block
the tractor wheels to then test Jims theory of the
spline wear by giving a push back and forth on the rear
wheels. Place the tractor in 4th gear and if you have a
TA it would need to be back or in the lo side I call it.
Maybe be a good idea to have a second guy and block
the clutch down so you can look from underneath ti
see what happens. My thought is if it was the splines it
should come free and let the clutch release if the input
shaft is turned backwards.

Was wondering if a four puck disc like what was in it would release easier,don't like shooting in dark.Just doesn't appear that pressure plate moves much at all when the 3 fingers are pressed.Thanks Butch

Did the pressure plate set tight on the disc or on the flywheel when it was on the floor? Did the splines get cleaned before installation? If so then what was the wear in the splines if no major wear does the disc slide on the input shaft smooth and easily with tractor split. Was the pilot bearing changed and if so does it let the input shaft slide in nicely not tight and not loose. Did one of the little stop blocks fall into the pressure plate upon installation while tightening the pressure plate to the flywheel? You say the flywheel was cut to the service book spec. did the clutch assembly get set in the flywheel on the bench to see how it fit and whether it was correct?

The pressure plate doesn't have to move much to release the clutch.

I'm also suspicious that you got a bad pressure plate. Unfortunately it's going to have to come apart again.

Pilot bearing is new,shaft slides in no problem.Splines look ok,not worn in any one spot.I did assemble clutch to flywheel before installing on tractor,that's when I discovered cover plate did not sit down in step for the 6 mounting bolts,had to grind a little off two of tabs to make cover plate sit flat on step. The ongoing issue seems to be finger height setting,lock nuts were loose when I received clutch,have tried several different adjustments to no avail.Even with fingers rubbing on release bearing still won't release enough to get in gear.. Not familiar with stop block you mentioned. Do you think the puck type disc releases any easier than the woven style?. It had a 4 pad disc in it for over 7 years no problem.The first split was to replace ring gear for stater,took a look at clutch and decided to replace clutch.Kit came with woven disc,that's when the fun began. Thanks,Butch

Jim,sorry I misread your post about wear on splines,thought you meant on flywheel,my mistake!.Probaly will split again tomorrow and look closer at shaft. It appears that idpt shaft can be replaced without too much hassle.I may have seen them on this site,will find one if worn too much,thanks for your help and patience.Butch

Split 504 again today.Took better look at clutch shaft splines.Two strange things,at rear of shaft were the disc splines are is a wear step,but it's all but
covered by thePTO shaft . I know its been rubbing there because there is matching wear in trans side olf old. disc.Please tell me it's normal for the
clutch shaft to be able to move in and out about of PTO shaft about 1 1/2 . in.Maybe some problems there also,. If that is ok,my plan is to grind out a
little of the splines in the rear of new disc to get away from step on shaft.Thanks,Butcn

It is Ok when disassembled. I just had a feeling that there was spline interference on the clutch shaft. Differences in disc design (origin) and the fact that it might be just fine on a new clutch shaft are compounding the issue. Grinding out some spline is just fine. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back