Oliver 550 clutch release

dabot

Member
I split the 550 to seal up oil leaks.It worked fine prior. I put it back together and adjusted the clutch pedal to 3/4 inch freeplay. Now it will not release the pressure plate. I split it again and removed the plate and clutch. All looks good except the fingers on plate were adjusted even further out than shop manual says. I tried adjusting pedal all directions but it will not release. What am I missing? Happy Easter to all!
 
Well I'll try and help. I did a video on my 550 clutch repair. I will include the link here. Not sure what's going on but maybe watching me do mine you might discern something you did different??? Your description makes me believe your pressure plate is not right but that's a guess without looking at it. I have several videos that may help you as you repair your tractor. Click on my videos after you hit thee link and you can choose one that may help. I do not get paid to promote them I did them to try and help others. Good luck Sir.
Untitled URL Link
 
I tried to reverse it after second split but that put it in a way off position. It is as it appears in parts book.
 
When you put the tractor did it go with out easy. I have seen the pto dive hub pushed in and drag on clutch hub.
 
It went together fine. The pto engages and disengages as it should. The engine drive clutch is what doesn't release. I am confused!!
 
Did you have the pressure plate off when you had it apart the first time? You didn't say what seals you replaced. If you did have it apart, is there any chance that you put the clutch in backwards?
 
No I did not change rear engine seal.All the other seals I replaced. Pointed end goes towards front of tractor. Am I correct?
 
I bought it from Ebay. It is a general clutch alignment tool made by OTC. Has a bunch of tips you can screw on to the end to match your pilot hole. It was cheap.....like $20 shipped.
 

I wonder if the frame is slightly twisted out of alignment from the split. if you remove the steering box should be able to see in there and see what is going on. my 550 used to be hard to shift when I had a bucket full of manure, always thought the frame was twisting a bit. Didn't always do it but usually by idling the throttle down I would be able to shift from 3 to R2. Next shift would be okay. May be able to loosen bolts and move the sections around a bit. On the 550 the transmission input shaft is solid and the pto drive shaft is hollow if I remember right. Pto shaft is driven by the traction clutch cover.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top