D19 Gas Specs

cpratt

Administrator
Staff member
I have a local farmer who emailed me with a problem. He has a D19 Gas that won't start. He's in a world of hurt because it's his only loader tractor and he's hauling his feed by wheel barrow right now and it's not a small operation for this area. He knew I had a D19 so thought I could help him. I stepped him through some troubleshooting and he has no spark (plus it was running very rough for some time till it wouldn't start). Sounds like his tune up parts are shot so I'm going to go help him out and replace his points, condenser, cap etc or put a Pertronix in it since I recommended that. Problem is, both my D17 and D19s are diesel. I do have the manual on the D17 (owners, shop and parts) that covers Gas, but not the D19 Gas. I thought they used the same engine only the 19 was a turbo. Will my point and valve specs from the D17 manual apply or were there differences? It's a 61.

I have a local farmer who emailed me with a problem. He has a D19 Gas that won't start. He's in a world of hurt because it's his only loader tractor and he's hauling his feed by wheel barrow right now and it's not a small operation for this area. He knew I had a D19 so thought I could help him. I stepped him through some troubleshooting and he has no spark (plus it was running very rough for some time till it wouldn't start). Sounds like his tune up parts are shot so I'm going to go help him out and replace his points, condenser, cap etc or put a Pertronix in it since I recommended that. Problem is, both my D17 and D19s are diesel. I do have the manual on the D17 (owners, shop and parts) that covers Gas, but not the D19 Gas. I thought they used the same engine only the 19 was a turbo. Will my point and valve specs from the D17 manual apply or were there differences? It's a 61.
Nothing alike. The D17 gas used the venerable AC 226 four cylinder engine . The D19 gas used the 6 cylinder Buda

It would appear if his is a gas .015 intake exhaust .020 valve clearance. Every other allis except the little g appears to be .020 points and .030 on the plug gap which should all be fine. You might also be able to find info on the distributor and the valve clearances on the engine tag.

The following are the tune-up specs from a Motor Handbook for the D19 Gas. My D19 AC manuals went with the tractor when I sold it.

Plug gap .025"
Point gap .022"
Intake valve lash .015 hot
Exhaust valve lash .020 hot
Retarded timing TDC
Full advance timing 25 degrees BTDC
Timing mark on pulley
Firing order 153624

Ignition timing of 25 degrees BTDC at wide open throttle. Whatever it is at an idle is fine as long at the 25 degree BTDC number is at full throttle setting.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back