David brown 995 or 996?

I bought a david brown with no decals, the last owner said its a 995. All the parts Ive bought for it I ordered for a 995 and they worked perfect.

Ive never seen a 996 here in the US, lots of 995s. But mine has a gold grill and looking at parts for it I found the gold grill but they only list the gold grill for the 996.


http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/Michaeljp86/DSCI0893.jpg
DSCI0893.jpg
 
Poor thing needs some love badly. Why they get painted anything but the right colors is a mystery to me. I have seen Ford blue, JD green, and camo too.

Looks like a Frankenstein of old and new parts. Some early features, some late.

The main difference in the 995 and 996, is the 995 has a 2 stage foot clutch. The 996 has a hand PTO clutch.

Serial number and proper model # are stamped into the top of the frame, right side, just forward of the timing cover. Something like 995/123/855000
 
Rich, were they still decaled a 995? I remember the 995's we sold having the hand pto clutch, that and the bigger fendars was why we ordered them versa's the 990, been 40 years though and some of the facts escape me know
 
Its a smooth running machine now. Ill get her painted up like it should be.

I was told by one guy that they sold the 996 in the US but with 995 hood decals.

Mine has a handle you pull up on to disengage the PTO and hydraulic pump. Ive seen some 995s on tractor house with the same handle.

The ser# is 995 6 986585

I found a european website that lists this as a 996 but from what I was told but the one guy that these all had 995 decals sold in the US.
 
995/6 My understanding is the /6 indicates hand clutch. Would have been decalled a 996 in the UK.



It is an early 1975 model. Should be Power red/orange chassis, and white sheet metal. Decals would be black, "995", "Case" here, or "996" "CASE-David Brown" elsewhere. Grill would be black with a white stripe down the middle. Headlights should be where that gold upper grill is(upper grill is only used on Euro spec models with side lights).

At least 990/995/996 grills are available.

There should be a Purolator dry element air cleaner on top. The muffler is interesting. Tin looks nice and straight.
 
I have a DB 996. I did not find out that it was a 996 until recently. I also always bought parts for a 995 since that is what the decals show. Never had a problem with parts until I needed a hoses for the new water pump. The hose from the pump to the bottom of the radiator is different. The local Case dealer told me it was a 996 according to the S/N.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top