David Brown 995 PTO lubricant

DonO-MN

Earlier, this fall I had drained the transmission/rear end and changed the hydraulic filter. The transmission was refilled with red hytran.

Today, I removed the rear cover to replace the oil seal on the PTO shaft. This tractor has the two speed PTO. when I pulled the rear cover off I was surprised to see dark gear oil like fluid leaking out from the PTO gear compartment. I guess I assumed the PTO gears were lubricated by the hytran fluid in the rear end, (my manual doesn't discuss show a separate procedure to drain and fill lubricant in the PTO gearbox) but the oil that leaked out wasn't red colored. Could the oil that leaked out just be some old, trapped hytran? There was about a cupful that leaked out.

I think I'm just asking for confirmation that the PTO gears are lubricated by the hytran in the transmission/rear end????
Thanks, DonO

PTO gears are lubricated by the Hytran in the transmission. No separate oil for them. On many DB models the oil fill for the transmission is actually through the PTO case.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back