DB885 Servicing Questions

Morning All,

I'm going to do my first servicing on the new tractor this weekend and had a few questions.

In reading the service manual, the recommended ENGINE oil is a Multi-purpose 20W/30 or 20W/40. My local RK store has 15W/40, will this suffice?

The "Approved Lubricants-Except U.K and Ireland" recommends the same oil for the Transmission & Hydraulic System. Still good to use the 15W/40?

For the Power Steering it recommends "Hydraulic mineral oil of SAE 10W viscosity (Not brake fluid). What the heck is this? Where can I find it and is there an alternative?

For the Final Drives, King Pin and Front Trunnion it recommends an SAE 90 @ < 20 degrees F, and SAE 140 @ > 20 degrees F. Is an SAE 85-140 OK to use for these applications?

Should I use Conventional or Synthetic oils?

Would anyone recommend one oil over another? I run Valvoline in all my vehicles and thought I would use Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty Diesel for the tractor.

Will any multi-purpose grease work for lubrication?

Thanks for your help!

I am doing my 885 now. This is what I am using for better or worse.

Engine: Rotella T 15W-40
Final Drives: Mobil 1 95W140
Coolant: Mobil 1 Diesel ELC Coolant
Hydraulic/Trans: Case/IH/New Holland Hy Trans. It changed names again I can't remember what its called. Any dealer will have it on hand.
Power Steering: Mobil 424 Hydraulic/Trans oil.

Jason

FWIW, on my 990 I use a good quality 15-40w Diesel rated oil in the engine, Type 303 in the tranny/hydraulics, ATF or 303 in the power steering and 85-140w in the finals. Biggest thing on these is to change the trans/hyd filter and keep the shifters covered, or the machine under cover if you have that option, to keep water out of the tranny. IME the shifter boots suck and are near worthless. so I have to change tranny fluid 2x a year.

(quoted from post at 06:47:29 11/30/18)
FWIW, on my 990 I use a good quality 15-40w Diesel rated oil in the engine, Type 303 in the tranny/hydraulics, ATF or 303 in the power steering and 85-140w in the finals. Biggest thing on these is to change the trans/hyd filter and keep the shifters covered, or the machine under cover if you have that option, to keep water out of the tranny. IME the shifter boots suck and are near worthless. so I have to change tranny fluid 2x a year.

Thanks Bret!

For the steering 10W hydraulic oil or Dexron ATF are my choices.

Engines, whatever 15W40 Diesel oil is on sale, even the cheapest will be much better than any oil at the time the tractor was designed.

Transmissions... They did indeed spec engine oil for them when designed. whatever is proper for the engine is good for the transmission as well.

I don't use CIH hytran in the ones that actually get worked, it is much thinner than what they were designed for and makes the gears noisy.

If you have a water ingression issue, the cheap 303 is a good choice as it is inexpensive enough to not feel bad with frequent changes.

(quoted from post at 12:31:46 11/30/18)

If you have a water ingression issue, the cheap 303 is a good choice as it is inexpensive enough to not feel bad with frequent changes.

That's a nice way of saying I ain't got a shed to put it in Rich. I've been planning a mount for a canopy for several years, but I never can find the time/material. It would be worth it!

It was on sale recently for under $15 a bucket. I use it when I bring one home that needs flushed out.

Here is the service bulletin regarding the lubrication of the stub axle. The bulletin applies to 1190 1290 1390 etc tractors, but the same applies to the 990 and extended family. See link. It looks like they moved the grease zirk down to the bottom of the stub axle after a certain point in production. All of my DBs have the zirk in the middle of the stub axle. I've always used grease at that location. Perhaps the lower portion of the spindle is not getting lubed? I'm not certain, but I am not inclined to start loading my grease gun with SAE140 gear oil
Lubrication of the Stub axle Technical Bulletin

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back