You probably should be getting them. The older stuff is going away more and more all the time at CNH, or whatever they go by now.
Back to the governor RPM setting. That has my curiosity.
I'm familiar with things such as a governor speed-drop setting on Detroit Diesel engines used on gen-sets.
But this here, a governor RPM setting of 940 to 960 RPM.........
When is it measured?
What would be the minimum and maximum RPM?
How is it adjusted?
I noticed this governor RPM range is the same as belt pulley RPM at full engine RPM.

When we rebuilt the engine on the 400 Super Diesel, we went with the 4 1/4 inch pistons which helped, but a DC can still out lug it. Good thing it has 8 speeds.

It is good to compare engines in this discussion, a stock 3 7/8 DC is 9 CID larger than a 400-7-800. A 4" DC is 9CID bigger than a 730 and a 4 1/6 DC is 2 CID bigger than an 830 Gas. RPM is the difference in the HP ratings. A DC is rated full load HP at 1100 RPM the later tractors rated HP is at a much higher rpm. I admit to having my 39 warmed up a bit for tractor pulling but it is a M@W engine with a couple tweaks, It runs 55 HP at 1100, 65 HP at 1400 and 75 at 1800, comparing the horsepower at nearly the same engine rpms illustrates that HP is RPM related and that nearly the same size engines will produce close to the same hp. Horsepower is secondary to torque in field application and as you all know stroke has to do with an engines torque characteristics. Advantage DC by 1/2 longer stroke as peak HP occurs at a certain RPM but higher torque over a wider RPM range is what makes a stout work engine. My comments here are not to detract from the great later engines, just a simple comparison to the Ole DCs which we love. BTW, My info gives 1100 as the rated loaded rpm and 1380 as unloaded high Idle.

This post was edited by mEl on 12/11/2023 at 10:26 am.

those rpm #s are correct ,,. But my DC has a little extra rev
,,,, I only Use it when I need a little extra WHAmo ... ,,.
The economy range and power range of a well tuned healthy DC is
Amazing and easy to do.. That Ol Gent don't like working REAL
HARD on a hot day pulling a 850 New H 'landround baler .. But
it made the bale !

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back