don v

Have a DC serial no. 8027688. Foot clutch, foot throttle, live power,. remotes. What year model would it be?

8031261 on my 53 DC4

cvphoto167921.jpg

cvphoto167922.jpg

cvphoto167923.jpg

(quoted from post at 23:49:27 12/03/23) What exactly is the special chain and sprocket? Slow down or speed up kit? Thanks, Mike

This post was edited by chuck machinist on 12/03/2023 at 03:18 pm.

(quoted from post at 23:49:27 12/03/23) What exactly is the special chain and sprocket? Slow down or speed up kit? Thanks, Mike

Mike,
38 tooth bull gear is standard from factory. 9.5 mph 4th gear . If you install 31 tooth out of a DI, you can expect to get 16 to 18 mph full throttle She plows well with a 3/14 Centennial plow at 4.5 mph in 2nd gear in sandy soil.. CM
mvphoto112043.jpg

This post was edited by chuck machinist on 12/03/2023 at 03:19 pm.

I think you are stretching your numbers Chuck. If you do the math the change from 38 tooth to 31 tooth would change your speed
from 9.5 to 11.7 MPH. My stock sprocket DC-4 goes a good 15 at stock RPM's but you have pics of the booties on it. I think they
did better than 9.5.

What was the last year of production for the DC tractors???? I know I have read that DC's were discounted late in their production due to lack of market demand. Any historians out there tonight. gobble

All indications are that D series tractors were last manufactured in 1953. However, many were upgraded with 4 inch aluminum pistons and foot clutches in an attempt to move them out. I have a 1957 dealer price book that says you can still buy a new D series tractor. Former dealers told me they sold them at severe discounts to try to get rid of them. A live power late model DC is still a great tractor, but the improvements were too little, too late from a sales standpoint. Everybody knew CASE was coming out with a completely new design machine and buyers wanted that 400 over a DC hands down.

I can agree on All points , But i take exception to the incredible lugging power of a Well tuned DC.. Those Big Guys Will Hammer out some wicked Horsepower at the tractor pulls that the 251 Cubic In 400 can't beat... I Think the DC has 264 Cubic inches?/

Anyone know where the J.I.Case dealer was in Des Moines Iowa, maybe an address. I grew up in DSM so was not around farming but did see Case backhoe loaders when I went to work for a sewer line contractor after HS graduation. gobble

Jim,

You are correct, that long stoke D engine can really lug. At 3 7/8 pistons they were almost 260 cubic inches, at 4 inch they were 276, and at 4 1/16 they were 285. I've always maintained that the 400 needed another 1/2 inch of stroke. Don

I have a 51 DC with the 4 1/16 bore and the power it has is impressive! Especially sawmilling on belt power. I am wanting to put it on a dyno to see what it's actually putting out.

(quoted from post at 13:37:31 12/04/23) I have a 51 DC with the 4 1/16 bore and the power it has is impressive! Especially sawmilling on belt power. I am wanting to put it on a dyno to see what it's actually putting out.
Perhaps close to 42 HP! CM

J, does it have the Popup M@W style pistons and a 5505 head, Our 39 so equipped had 52 at 540 shaft speed PTO. MY 48 with 4 1/16 flattops was good for 50. Am using a M@W dyno for my testing that has proven accurate over many years and am checking HP at the calibrated checkpoints. Dyno readings are meaningless unless the readings are made at marked checkpoints unless a nomograph is used to calculate Hp away from marked checkpoints.

J Hamilton do you have the build sheet for your '51 DC3?
Looking at Chucks build sheet it says the governor setting is 960 RPM.
The build sheet for my '51 DC3 says the governor setting is 940 RPM, with the same full-load and no-load RPM as on Chucks sheet.
Does anyone know what the governor setting RPM means?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back