Deere 55 questions/values

Ryan in GA

New User
Hey guys,
We're looking for an older, smaller combine, wont get used much, no more than 20 acres a year of corn/beans/wheat (mostly corn). I've been searching high and low all over to find something that will work for us.But we cannot come up with anything reasonably priced without having to have it hauled to South GA.
I've came across an ad in a local farm paper.
Ad Reads:
JD 55 collectors edition combine corn special, both heads, diesel engine, runs well, under shelter, must sell. Then his name/number.

I called the guy and he returned my call, was a nice guy, I was in a rush and couldn't talk much at the time but did get that it was; 55 diesel, 2 row wide corn head, 12' grain table, been shedded all its life, good shape, hasnt been run in 7 or 8 years, but was running when parked. He said he was pretty sure it was a later model maybe a '68 or '69.
Im not sure if it was cab or os, hydro, or anything like that but plan on giving him a call again tomorrow to get more info.

He said $3000 but was ready to move it. That was alot more than we are wanting to spend, but may be able to work on the price.

My questions are...
What engine is in this combine, is it reliable, easy to maintain?
What is the weight/ dimmensions of this machine. I've seen on the net it weighs between 8000 and 10000 lbs depending on options.
Also how wide/long is the wheelbase? We were concerned about hauling if we decided on it. Its only 60miles from us but if we cant get it run at his place we may not have another option.
Even though it has sat up for years and the engine may or maynot be stuck or without knowing much about its past, whats a good offer to make on it. We would like to stay under $1500 but for the right machine we can budge a little.
I've seen these machine go from anywhere from 250-2000 on the net, so I want to be fair on both ends.
I plan on going to look at it in the next few days.
Any things in particular I should look at?
Thanks for the help guys!!
Hope we can make a deal on this one as its close and what were lookig for!!
--Ryan in GA

We bought a 1969 55 corn special diesel pretty much like you described. The engines they used was the 303. They were better then the 217 in most respects except the O-ring at the bottom of the sleeve would give out. Does that about every 1,500 hrs. Our 55 current leaks a little anti-freeze into the oil when it sets over winter. We also have a 1967 95 with the 303 and it was overhauled at 1,617 hrs for the same reason. Some people called it the "303 disease." We hauled ours on the back of a 30ft gooseneck trailer with no problems. Hauled it from MN to Montana. I think you are more in the ball park on the prices you found then the seller is. We paid $750 for ours but it needs a little work like new concave/rub bars and so forth. And it came with a 13ft grain header.

If you only want to spend $1500 you aren"t gonna get much of a combine. They"ll bring that in scrap price.

If this one runs you better pay the $3000.

I"d make him get it running for you or I wouldn"t buy it. Never heard of selling a combine over scrap price without the seller getting it to run.

Just my thoughts.

Gary

Do not buy it till he gets it running and you hear it run till its good and warmed up. Check the radiator for oil in it before its started and check the oil for water in it after its been run a while. For the amount you are going to use it, I dont think the diesel is a good idea. A diesel that sits around tend to have problems starting and having fuel problems. The old gas combines can sit, Put fresh gas in it and hook up the jumper cables and away you go. Just my 2 cents. Bandit

Boy thats the complete opposite experience I have. All our diesels which are mostly IH and JD with a Cat sprinkled in will start even after sitting for years. Back in 2004 I bought a MH 55 diesel. It hadn't run in God knows when but after installing new fuel filters and cleaning out the tank, it started and ran with no problems. Got a JD 820 going after sitting for 15 years. My gassers on the other hand, if the are not started and run once a year, they will start to run like crap. Currently fighting that on a couple of combines.

With both heads, not running, $1500 is what it would be worth in scrap. I'd look real close at the hours. Those 303 diesels are pretty cold natured but in SC that should not be much problem. Unles he can make it run, it wouldn't be worth any more than that to me. Maybe $2500 tops if it runs good. You didn't say which corn head it had. I'd be hoping for a 235.

Price is alittle steep,but if it runs and has a cab,Buy it!You will like it. the Jd 55 is probably the best older small combine out there.Dont lose it by "quibbleing" over a few hundred dollars,you may never find another one-and its close!

For $3000 it had better be running when you get it and running good. I bought a 45 a few years ago with both heads field reay and gave $1250 for it. Of cource it was a gas machine. The 55 will be a good machine if you can get it. the only problem I know of is the engines like others have mentioned.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back