Deere MT Running Rough Question #2

Bobl1958

Got the replies on the neighbors MT that is running rough. A quick overview is the tractor starts and runs very good for about 15 minutes, then seems to labor a little for a few seconds, then runs good again for 10 or so more minutes, then labors a little, then may pull clear down and possibly backfire once (twice at the most) and then takes off and runs good for 10 or 15 minutes and starts all over.

Fuel cap is loose. Good flow of fuel to carb. Carb rebuilt. All new ignition parts including coil, condenser, points, cap, rotor, wires, plugs.

My question is...I am leaning towards the condenser or the coil, and per the replies so far it would lean that direction. I asked the guy to get new points and condenser as he had pitched the old ones. I will try them in a couple of days when I get back there and see, but if the coil is the issue, and is getting hot, I assume way too hot to touch? A coil gets warm anyway, but can you hold on to it if it is good, and can't touch it if it is bad and getting hot? How hot is hot, I guess I am trying to figure out.

Thanks again for the good replies, I will post back on progress. Bob

If the running is the same as it was, the trouble is not going to be fixed by changing the same parts again. Does it pull under load? does up or down hill make a difference? could there be water in the fuel? is the intake manifold tight? Jim

Good flow to carb but do you get a good flow of gas from the carb drain plug as in opening the drian plug it will fill a pint jar in less the 3 minutes??

I will double check that old. The carb was rebuilt by a supposedly good mechanic, but I don't know him or how good he could do on a carb.

I would think that if the flow in the carb was bad, when it started laboring it would not come back and run good again for 10 or 15 minutes. It would labor down when the bowl ran out and not be able to catch back up.

Also, there is no smoke coming out exhaust pipe when it is running either good or when it starts the issues. Choke doesn't make any difference either on running.

All of the work was done prior to me looking at it. I do know the tractor sat in a shed for several years, and did run fine when his Dad quit using it. The gas tank was either drained or leaked out because it is spotless clean inside of it.

I haven't had a chance to get back to it, but just trying to get my thoughts in order before I do. Thanks again - Bob

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back