Dexta engine problem

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
My Boss (nice guy) gave me a Dexta tractor but the engine is weak. He said it ran fine until a service person installed the fuel filter incorrectly. The tractor starts right up so I guessing the timing is ok. It does have a little blowby but not bad. The engine idles very good. When I first got it home the engine would rev up high but would soon slow down and then do the same over and over with the throttle open. That seems to have almost quit but the tractor poower is weak. Could this be a fuel problem or the engine needs an overhaul, I would like to eliminate other problems before going into the engine. thanks for any advice. Jerry
 
It could be fuel problems from what you say. There is a filter in the fuel tap which is a bit of a bummer to get to as you have to loosen the tank holding bolts to get the tap out.

If you have a vaccum governed pump it is also possible that the diaphram has a hole in it. This is in the dome shape at the back of the pump. Not a bad job to fit but the part is expensive for what it is. Your New Holland dealer will be able to tell you but take a chair along to sit on or some anti heart attack pills. :0)
 
Try the air filter, 1 check the oil level, make sure there is not water in it if dexta set in the rain the water runs in the slots at the top cover 2 remove the complete unit and clean the mesh these never get cleaned and as any that I have the mesh wont come out without ruining it. # if all the fuel filters are clean and are the right ones it could be the tap screen. To check this before removing blow the line with air, this will clear the screen fo a test. If it runs good after you will still have to take it out after it plugs again. As just water in the tank will seal them.
 
Thanks Woodache. I did check the air filter and the screen looked very good, clean, and shinny. The engine oil looked good. The tractor has been stored in a shed. The tank is full of diesel so I may wait to check that screen unless I can do it without draining the tank.
Jerry
 
First on the air filter these can look very good on the bottom of the TOP filler mesh as they get fulshed all the time with oil the bottm or cup screen can esily be cleaned. The top can be TOTALY blocked and you cant see it. The top may have NEVER been cleaned.
Had low power slow accelration on one of mine I thought the top looked clean but I boiled it out any ways It run like a different tractor afterwards.

To test for tank screen shut off fuel remove line from boost pump open tap, line should run a full stream of fuel if not your blocked.
Now the tank screen cleaning shut off fuel remove the fuel line some where between the boost pump and the tap attach an air line turn on tap blast with air. Turn off tap reconnect fuel lines
 
thanks for the additional information. I will check a little further on the air claener and will clean the tank screen. I hope I will get a chance this weekend to do this. I hope one of these is the problem. I'll let you know.
Jerry
 
Disconnect the air filter from the engine at the manifold hose intak run that way if improve is noticed clean it if no improvement it should be usable. But I highly recomened boiling out of the top any ways as I said before yje are not a 5 minute job so are never cleaned, you will be amazes at what comes out.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top