Did I destroy my carburetor?

Mtjohnso

Ih350U tractor Gasoline engine. Pulled the carb off ands it was in very bad shape. Had water sitting in carb for long time.
Brought a comprehensive kit from Yesterdays Tractor for it.
On the main fuel jet at bottom of carb there is the needle that goes through a graphite packing and into the fuel bowl and to a brass nozzle.
The carb kit had a new graphite packing piece and so I was removing the old graphite packing.
Not knowing any better I was using drill bits to remove the packing. I went to far and drill
It the brass nozzle the the needle valve is suppose to get close too. Not all of it is gone, lost about 0.125 to 0.200 of that nozzle. The needle can still be adjusted to reach what is left of the seat.
So on removing that much of the nozzle will it make it not run or run rough?
Lesson learned is go slow and watch what your doing.

Ih350U tractor Gasoline engine. Pulled the carb off ands it was in very bad shape. Had water sitting in carb for long time.
On the main fuel jet at bottom of carb there is the needle that goes through a graphite packing and into the fuel bowl and to a brass nozzle.
The carb kit had a new graphite packing piece and so I was removing the old graphite packing.
Not knowing any better I was using drill bits to remove the packing. I went to far and drill
It the brass nozzle the the needle valve is suppose to get close too. Not all of it is gone, lost about 0.125 to 0.200 of that nozzle. The needle can still be adjusted to reach what is left of the seat.
Without seeing what was drilled, it is difficult to predict, but I would say that brass nozzle is toast. You can try it with little cost other than taking it apart again. Jim

Try running it, what have you got to lose at this point by trying?

Braze it and re-tap if you went to far , cant tell with seeing it .
or if not a brazer then melts some candle wax on adjusting screws thread them into the JB weld mix you put into drilled out section . remove in two hours approximately depending on temp outside . Allow 24 hours to dry
make sure to use something to relieve air trapped in the JB weld and the carburetor bore of drill .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back