die grinder

DD in WA

Member
So my pistons are hitting the head after I had it resurfaced. It sounds like the common wisdom is to relieve it with a die grinder. I'm looking for advice on purchasing a die grinder and what kind of bits should I get. Keep in mind that I've not needed one up to this point in my life and I'm not likely to use it much after this.

Thanks as always.
 
(quoted from post at 12:40:08 07/17/12) So my pistons are hitting the head after I had it resurfaced. It sounds like the common wisdom is to relieve it with a die grinder. I'm looking for advice on purchasing a die grinder and what kind of bits should I get. Keep in mind that I've not needed one up to this point in my life and I'm not likely to use it much after this.

Thanks as always.

I got my air grinder at Harbour Freight and the bit at Ace. First and last time I have used it so far. Not all that much money. It worked great.
 
little light duty tools like die grinders,
you can get by with the cheapo ones
from HF and Northern.
You really need 2 in your toolbox,
a straight one and a right angle one.
get an assortment of different shaped grinding stones.
add a small high speed air sander to the order
and you will be prepared for most jobs.
Big muscle air tools like impacts and such, go up
the quality ladder.
Machine shop is an option, but at my local one
with a $50 minimum job charge, you could buy all three tools.
 
a cheap electric die grinder is going to be about 20$ kick in another 10$ for bits.

that or a good used head for about 2x that.

soundguy
 
Up in Enumclaw - not too close. There's a Harbor Freight near where I work so I'll swing by there at lunch and pick up a cheap grinder.

Thanks,
 
lay a head gasket there and that will give you ideas of where you need to relieve.

also can put some grease on piston heads and valves, then roll her over with head on wit a couple bolts as dowels. no gasket.. roll over.. see where crease is.. mark with a scribe all areas to relieve.. then go at it. a good round nose bur about 1" long should more than do it.. cast iron mills easy..
 
I bought mine at HF, but then I do have a compressor and other jobs I use it for - wasn't very spendy and seems to work fine. It is really handy for relieving the head - I think the machine shop took about 25 thou off mine, so I had quite a bit of grinding to do - used grease on the pistons to define the areas that needed work and just kept at it until nothing hit.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top