disassembling speedometer

INCase

Well-known Member
I have a round speedometer that works but the needle is broken off. I need to open it up to get the needle soldered back on but can not figure out how to get it open. There is a wide chrome band that fits over the body that holds the gasket and lens in place. There are 2 screws on the bottom near the cable mount that I'm sure hold the mechanicals in place. So I'm sure I'll need to get the chrome ring off. there are no screws or clips that I can see. Must be pressed or "glued on"??? Thanks for the help.
 
If it is like ones I have opened, you need to un-crimp the ring with out breaking the glass. Or use a demeral and cut it to get it off. Then Worry about puttin it back. Same thing with some amp meters.
 
I made a special set of pliers that would grab the rim and bend it out then used it re-crimp it. they never come out as good as new but most of the damage is on the dash side. Grind 45 degree slot on one side and grind the other flat.
Side one V side two _
Walt
 
Not sure how to get on it to lift it. I did try to spin the chrome ring with a "band" wrench but wanted to get some other ideas before I wrenched on it too hard and busted something. Thanks.
 
Yes you need to remove that crome ring. bend it out being careful not to break glass. they are made of some real lite stuff so it is not to hard to do.
 
I got it apart last night. I used a small, flat screw driver and worked around the ring. I then ended up putting a small cut in the ring and peeled it around the ring like a sardine can about 1/8-1/4 inch wide. Then worked on the ring again with the screw driver and got about 1/2 around the 2nd time and it popped off. The ring isn"t pretty now but should work to go back on and will be hidden behind the sheet metal. Now I will try the tachometer. Thanks for the help.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top