Discing Questions

Fergienewbee

Well-known Member
Need some advice on discs and discing.

I have a TO 30 and borrowed a six-foot disc from my brother-in-law. He added some weight to it to make it cut deeper. I think it has 18" blades and a fixed angle. Is there an advantage to a fixed angle over an adjustable disc? My soil ranges from some clay to light sandy. I've been running in 2nd, mostly discing fire lines and prepping for food plots.

I definitely need to add some weight to the front of the tractor. Are bolt-on front wheel weights available? If not, how do you attach weight to the front? It gets a little squirrley steering. I could also take some weight of the disc.

If the 3PH is properly adjusted and working correctly, will that control the depth of the cut? I'm thinking when I want to disc in seeds or smooth it up for planting.

I spent about five hours on the tractor Saturday and had a blast. So far, that Fergie is one of my better investments. I have lots of uses for it. Sure does a nice job on the garden and a whole lot faster than a rototiller.

Thanks for your help.

Larry
 
There is actually an advantage to an adjustable disk because you can adjust it.We have a fixed massey disk and when you are using it on ploughed ground verses after corn or potatos,it can pull up some sods.As for weight,I have seen some people bolt on a baler flywheel,seems to work fine,that was on a 1085 massey,maybe it can be done to your TO 30?
 
They are weights that bolt on the front wheels. This is best. It does not wear out your front end parts as with hanging weights on the bumper.
 
The shallower the angle of the front and back disc "gangs" in relation to each other, the less they will cut- So you start with them at a shallower angle so as to just cut up the top, and not dig up sod. With a 3 point disc, you should be able to control the depth of cut with the draft control.
 
Email is left open. If you're looking for a set of front wheel weights to fit your Ferguson, give me a shout. I've got a couple sets and would part with one. Adds 200lbs to the front end.
 
The reason for the individual brakes is for turning the tractor in soft dirt or when the front is light. Weights don't help all that much on the front as long as its on the ground.
Walt
 
This is your best bet (wheel weights) and better than the other option: Build a bracket with a basket and bolt it to the front axle. Then fill the basket with 4-6 concrete blocks. BTDT

Wheel weights are much better and be sure the wheel is dished in rather than dished out. Steers much easier with weights with the weights close to the spindle rather than dished out away from it (them).

The slower you go the more the disc sinks into the ground and hence deeper it cuts.

The higher the angle the less penetration but greater the soil disturbance (what you are discing for).

Weights make a huge difference. Also, if you have any hills around, driving up a hill with a light front end can be deadly.

Fergie is a tough little sucker. Have had a TO-20, MF 35 and MF 35 deluxe. Liked them all. Had two with the Continental 4 banger gas and one with the 3 cyl Perkie diesel.

They (at least the diesel) have the torque curve setup so that it is lower at pto rpm than below it. So when the going gets rough and the engine would otherwise want to load up requiring you to down shift a gear, the torque increases and you don't need the gear.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top