double bit axe

caterpillar guy

I am in need of a good double bit axe. Anybody have a place to get one at a reasonable price with quality blade? I want the shorter 24 inch range handle. For trimming I can cut 1 inch limbs faster than with the saw and easire in the end as I don't have to lug a saw in there to do it. After the tree is down it can be trimmed while the saw is cutting either logs out or the wood. Also the brush can be then gotten out of the way for wood cutting.
I don't want the 3 foot handle as it gets in the way for trimming.

The best modern, ax I have ever use is a FISKARS. They do not make a double bit ax that I know of but there's are the top quality you can buy. Life time warranty too. Any reason warrantied.
FISKARS, 24 inch ax

You may be on a bit of a unicorn hunt, caterpillar guy--not because such things aren't available, but the combination of good and cheap, particularly in a cruiser-size double-bit axe is going to be hard to find in a new axe. Provided you want to stick with those specifications, your best bet is probably going to be buying a vintage head from any of the usual sources (e-bay, antique stores, flea markets, etc. etc.) and handling it yourself. Not a hard job, and if done right it will last for years, even decades. I've done that several times, as an axe just like you describe is quite useful. Link below is an excellent treatise on the care and feeding of axes, and well worth an hour of your time regardless of which way you go.
An ax to grind

Our son has one, without the handle, I should look for one at the flea market this winter. It was my dads, before that my uncle, they called it the cruiser axe, used by timber cruiser/surveyor.

If you want a real good axe that holds an edge get one made of Swedish steel. I have a chopping axe and felling axe made of Swedish steel.

You probably know this but a trip to a big box store or farm fleet store isnt going to yield a decent axe. The very best place to purchase a good quality axe for little money is at a swap meet. I purchase almost all of my handle tools that way but swaps are few and far between this time of year. "Reasonable" for price is up to the beholder but Counsil Tool makes some real decent stuff and is made here in the USA and I dont think the prices are out of line. New top of the line quality would come from one of several Swedish makes.
Counsil Tool

Honestly, you're going to have a tough time finding a new double bit with a 24" handle. I'd take a look at Ebay and try to find a name brand (Collins, Plumb, etc) with a decent looking handle about the length you want. If you have any flea markets locally you could try there, even if it's just the head. You can order handles online.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=double+bit+axe&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15

All the ones I have and I collect them when I can and have 3 I found at auctions. ALL of them needed handles which I have since put on them. I keep then sharp enough to be able to skin a deer with them which by the way I have done.

Thanks for the information. I wanted the shorter handle as it doesn't get caught on or in your coat/ jacket when using like the longer handle will when using in tight or brushey situations. Since I don't chop a lot of wood per say I don't need the longer handle for reaching closer to the ground. Most cutting is trimming trees after they are down or splitting wood for burning in the furnace/stove. For splitting I use a single blade axe. Mostly use a sledge and a wedge for splitting, since the blocks are bigger and longer, for the outside wood furnace/stove.
I'll have to look in some of the mentioned places, if I am around any of the junk/flee market places. Don't really have much for flee/junk markets near me. Mostly yard/junk sales or estate sales.

Have you ever thought of one of these top handle saws. One with a 12" bar is light and easy to use in cleaning up tops in close quarters.I very seldom use an axe anymore in cleaning the tops of downed trees .
cvphoto4091.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back