Drill press update

super99

I got a little bit done before I ran out of energy. The driven pulley did have 3 screws in it, 2 are broke off flush and the threads are boogered on the other one
cvphoto169263.jpg

cvphoto169264.jpg

Next I started trying to get the bearing off. I was able to raise it some with small pry bars to get a puller on it. Instead of the bearing coming off, it is pulling the sleave the bearing is on out. Parts list is confusing on this. I have to hold the chuck so it doesnt turn while tightening the puller plus holding the puller from turning while tightening the puller. I dont have enough hands to hold everything.
cvphoto169265.jpg

cvphoto169266.jpg

Im wondering if I should remove the spindle and then try to get the bearing off but then I wont have anything for the puller to work against. Ideas or suggestions? Im beat for now, gotta rest up before trying something else. Thanks, Chris

Try a bearing splitter under your bearing to apply pressure on all the bearing, not just 2 places.

I think you'll eventually get the bearing off, may take some further disassembly.

But when you get around to the broken screws in the pulley, try to pick the broken ones out with a sharp awl or scribe. If they just sheared off, and are not seized, they may unscrew with a little poking and persuasion.

Trying to hand drill them will be near impossible without doing more damage than good. I think I would just abandon them and start with fresh holes in the other 3 casting bosses.

When I replaced the bearings in mine I used an aluminum drift to drive the spindle down and out. Then used a drift to knock the bearings out. Just hold onto the spindle as you drive it out or you'll have a sore toe.

Per that rebuild thread I linked under your other thread, the insert is locktited in the bearing.
The bearing should come off the if the 3/8 inch bolt going into the lower side of bearing insert is removed.

The gear with the extension goes into the bearing insert.

Is the gear with extension what you are calling the sleeve?

This post was edited by DoubleO7 on 12/27/2023 at 09:54 am.

mvphoto112673.jpg

mvphoto112674.png

You have the stubby gear version machine.

Note the 3/8 bolt going into the lower end of the bearing insert.
Your picture shows the bearing raised for the puller so I am guessing you have that 3/8 bolt out.
Although your machine looks it never had that 3/8 bolt going into the hole in the insert. That boss below the bearing in the cast iron is about where the bolt hole should be for that 3 /8x7/8L bolt to go thru. Yours maybe a later model where they changed things and eliminated that bolt.

This post was edited by DoubleO7 on 12/27/2023 at 10:13 am.

99 use an engraving tool to back out the broken screws. Just use the point on an outer edge pointing in the direction of rotation to unscrew. Vibration helps it unscrew

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back