Craftsman drill press

I got a craftsman drill press and had it a few years and the chuck wobbles and it is hard to start a hole accurately it is the wedge kind is there anything I can do to fix it besides ordering a new chuck and not sure if I can get parts for it any more

If it is a Morse taper (like #1 or#2) a good machine shop could put it in an adapter in a fixture on a hydraulic press, and bend it straight. The chuck can be purchased from several sources (this is a professional source I have used. Jim

Remove the belt and check for play in the bearings. If there's no play read the numbers on your chuck to see what it is and Google a new one. Don't buy the cheapest one you find. My old Craftsman is a JT 33. Bearings and chucks can be found pert near anywhere.

I got a craftsman drill press and had it a few years and the chuck wobbles and it is hard to start a hole accurately it is the wedge kind is there anything I can do to fix it besides ordering a new chuck and not sure if I can get parts for it any more
First determine if it is the chuck or the spindle the chuck goes into for which one is doing the weeble wobble.

I have same drill with same issue. Turned out to be minor debris in the taper. Pulled the chuck, cleaned the male end and wire brush out the female end in the quill and now everything true.

It's just as likely not the chuck itself but the arbor.
Good chucks are expensive. Arbors are relatively cheap and can easily get bent if you have an OOPS!

Attachments

• 2024-01-12_11_35_05.jpg
    2024-01-12_11_35_05.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2024-01-12_11_35_25.jpg
    2024-01-12_11_35_25.jpg
    855 KB · Views: 8

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back