Drill Safety

A girl at work came limping in yesterday. A cordless drill (Stored with a drill bit inserted) fell off a shelf and hit her foot. Said she thought it bounced off her foot. When it continued to hurt, she removed her shoe to find it fairly full of blood. Turns out it bounced off the floor after going all the way through her foot. Doc scrubbed it out and she's to keep scrubbing it to keep a scab from forming so it can drain. Painful lesson.

Painful for sure. I try to never leave anything in a drill when I am done using it. Maybe a wire brush if I am going to use it again soon. But certainly not a drill bit. Besides I put my good bits away right after I use them and hide them so the wife can not find them.

Maybe that's what happened. A .22LR will leave a 1/4 inch drill-sized hole in one's foot; the drill story is less embarrassing and wouldn't be reported to law enforcement.

(quoted from post at 15:30:27 03/25/23) Maybe that's what happened. A .22LR will leave a 1/4 inch drill-sized hole in one's foot; the drill story is less embarrassing and wouldn't be reported to law enforcement.

Yea, can't imagine a drill bit in a drill motor going thru the shoe and foot and then bouncing out onto the floor either.

i could see that happening. women dont generally wear combat boots. for the non believers, try it some time wearing a pair of slip on shoes, or better yet house slippers.

My wife scared me once by coming down to my metal working shop bare foot. I was afraid that she would get a sliver of steel in her foot .

This fellow was certainly fortunate to have survived this ! An 18" auger right through his skull and brain .

mvphoto103817.jpg

Sometimes I wonder if surviving such a thing is "fortunate." If he was able to make a full pain free recovery with command of all his limbs and faculties, sure, but if he gets to spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair drooling into a bib, not so much.

I would certainly agree Barnyard , this fellow though , truly was fortunate . Apart from some structural problems with his jaw he suffered no long term cognitive damage . Remarkable , especially considering the size of the bit .

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back