Drving test vehicle

  • Thread starter Thread starter guido
  • Start date Start date
G

guido

Guest
Hello,
What vehicle did use for your driving test?
When i took my driving test i used a 1956 Pontiac starchief, red and white convertible.
Wish i had it now!!!, built like a tank!
Guido.
 
I Guido I used my dads 1955 Red & White 2dr Buick Special in Jan of 1960. My HS sweetheart was a redhead so the car an her went together really nice. Wish I had that car back too.
Les
 
I used my Dad's 1970 Ford LTD. It was snowing like crazy and I never parallel parked a car until the day I took my road test. Passed!
 
1958 Pontiac starchief station wagon. Silver gray, Wish I had it now. Plenty of chrome and stainless steel. Seemed like a 12 foot hood out front. DH
 
Dad's 1966 Dodge Corrent 4 door, with a slant 6 and an auotmatic trans. That car lasted to over 200,000 miles until my younger brother killed it.
 
In 1953, I used my dad's 1951 Buick Special. I was criticized for using the turn signals rather than hand signals. I passed, though. A month or so later, Illinois raised the age from 15 to 16. Some of my classmates had to wait more than a year to get their license.
 
My Dads 1968 Ford F250 & I had my 55cc Suzuki motorcycle in the back. I took my test in the PU first & then unloaded the bike & tested for my motorcycle. I passed both & got my auto & motorcycle license both the same day. Then I went home & put up hay all day & couldn't wait until I could go out that nite. Gerald
 
I drove my Mother' 1957 Chevrolet 210 series with 283 2V and powerglide.

My Father did not think I should drive his 1958 Oldsmobile Starfire 98 with J2 tri-power engine and 4 speed Hydramtic for the drivers test but I did drive it many times thereafter. I shouldn't have let it go for $150 in 1975.

Dean
 
1974 Pontiac Catalina, 400 engine and automatic trans.

Went around the block. Made 4 right hand turns stopped at the railroad tracks and parrellel parked in front of the office.

Girl there at same time had failed 4 times. Failed that time too. Blew the first stop sign.
 
1963 VW Beetle. No brake lights and I still passed the test. The second time the tester called out to hit the brakes, I knew the lights must not have worked. I just reached up and turned the parking lights on again and he thought that they were brake lights. Darn 'ol 6volt.
 
neighbors 53 studebaker champion, flat head 6, 3 on the tree & overdrive. first time driving it, 11 miles to test station all highway miles, passed 100% with unfamiliar car however had been driving 16' grain truck, 41 chev pickup, off road on farm 3 years prior and drivers ed 63 ford 6 cyl 3 speed.
 
1956 Ford 4-door, v-8, with 3-speed stick shift on the steering column. In Sioux City, Iowa, the examiner made me drive on some downtown hills, with stop signs. Never killed the engine once or made a jerky, rough start. Passed with flying colors!
 
1955 Dodge with everything manual - brakes, steering and a 3 speed on the sterring column. Parallel parking is so much easier with power steering. Kids have no idea what their parents/gransparents had to do. :-)
 
My dads 1978 (I Think) dodge little red express truck.

If your state does parallel parking instead of going thru cones never, let them take the test in the new Ford Escape. We are looking at them and all you to to parallel park is push a button, let go of the steering wheel and just read what it say to do on the dash. All you do is shift from drive to reverse and touch the brake( and use the turn signal)
 
49 dodge pickup 4 speed and half load of cow feed in the back and cow shi- on the floor tester did not want to test me but i said thats all we got to drive. two blocks and about 10 minn later i was done and passed was a real waste of time
 
1957 Chrysler Windsor with a on dash push button automatic with a slide lever to put it in park, that my parents had. We got there at DMV and found out that all I had to take was the written test, eye test and "finger printing". No driving test as I had taken driver's ed in high school that saved my parents a bunch of money on insurance.

I never ran into anyone else that was finger printing was a DL requirement.

However, I was quickly moved into my own car a 53' Chevy 6cyl 3spd. I remember buying transmissions from Harold the junk yard man for $10eh. I used up a few transmissions for some reason. :)

Harold and his wife lived in the center of the junk yard in a shack that they burnt used motor/gear oil for heat. I felt very honored as Harold told me that only 2 other people had been invited into his house.

T_Bone
 
Are you asking about my first test or any and all test. If it is the first that would have been a Honda 50 Motorcycle. from there it was another motorcycle in a different state. First was Tennessee and the second was Mississippi and when I went to get my car leince I did not even have to drive just take the written test. The H.P. knew my dad and told me no need to drive a car I know if your here you know how because other wise your dad would not have let you come in
 
1969 Chevelle SS 396, big cam, headers,glasspacks. The highway patrolman wasn"t impressed. Said if I was trying to be a S-A he would see to it that I got many chances at it. I said sir, the car is legal, just inspected last week as I pointed to the sticker on the windshield. And then said, If you have a problem with my legal car thus causing me to fail my driving test Id like to speak to your superior before we leave. He said not a peep except turn left turn right etc.

I passed.
 
A 46 Plymouth owned by my uncle. Three speed, flat head six and only extras was a heater-defroster installed by the dealer after car was bought new.
 
1963 GMC pickup. Four speed V6 manual steering and brakes. It was new and all the lights worked. The patrolman asked me to park it in a place about six inches longer than the truck, and after a couple very short forward-back-left-right routines he figured out I could eventually put it in there and told me it was close enough.
 
67 IHC Scout.....seemed to go thru a lot of ring gear and pinions....probably had something to do with the only way you could burn rubber was to coast backwards..rev it up and let her go!! Well, I did get pretty good at setting up ring gear and pinion....pretty amusing the things we did when we were Lanse's age. Probably good that Dad wouldn't let me get a go fast car. :)
 
In my day, nobody had to take a test. I just went to the post office and bought the license. I learned to drive in the cow pasture. The rest of you on here must all be young.
Of course, those days we didn't have nearly as much traffic as now. For sure it wouldn't work that way now. Even now there are a lot of bad drivers out there.
 
Dad"s 1968 D150 Short Wide All was going well, until I got to the part about stopping as fast as I could, without sliding the tires. That little truck could bring it to a halt, in a hurry. Officer dropped his clipboard, as he tried to brace himself on the dash, knew I had failed, but he must have had a good day, as I came home with my driver"s license.
 
My own 40 Ford Deluxe coupe. Dad towed it home with a chain behind his 54 Ford. No motor or tranny. Good body. He said he knew I would take the motor out anyway and he was right.I was just 15. In the next year I stuffed in a Chrysler semi hemi, black laquer, 4 color flames, moons.Rolled and pleated naugahyde upholstery.I worked about 7 different jobs to bankroll it, and my Grandpa let me use his tools and shop and lots of help. Drove it out of the garage on my 16th birthday.
Boy you should have seen my buddies faces.
 
I took my test in my 1956 Ford 2 door with 292v8 automatic with dual exhaust . I had just rebuilt it totally & it impressed the cop . He asked me how many years I'd been driving since I did so well . I was 16 at the time . I told him I started driving dads Ford tractors in the fields & main roads at age 7 . That really didn't impress him at all .But back then , not so many cars on the roads & people paid more attention while driving . Also , no cell phones or CB radios . God bless
 
I was going to cheat and use my dad's '67 CJ5 with the top off..Not so...The drivers training school had a Plymouth Valiant or a Fury 111 ....I had to use the Fury 111...What a "Boatallac"......
 
Hey Guido!!! Just had to bring back old memories didn't you. Found a picture of 58 pontiac wagon online. My Dad's was silver gray . Man I wish I had that car today. DH
a29888.jpg
 
"59 Ford Galaxy 500 with a 223 cid 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree and auto over drive. Some how at 14 I knew it would do over 100 MPH
 
1956 Mercury.

It had about 3/4 of a round of slack in the manual steering, and it would only engage in reverse when it wanted to.

During the test, the examiner stopped me on a deserted side street and told me to back up for one block, keeping my right wheels one foot from the curb.

I shifted into reverse and nothing. . .

I revved the engine a little and nothing. . .

I revved it a lot and BANG - that old Merc squalled and jumped like a fat toad and we wound up on the sidewalk!

I could tell by the way he was clutching the armrest that I was doomed. He said Son, I can't give you your license if you can't stay off of the sidewalk. It was quiet as we drove back to the examining station. When we got back he signed me for my license and told me to go home and practice backing out in a field.

He also said he was very impressed by my mechanical skills when I repaired the horn during the pre-test vehicle inspection. I didn't disclose that all I did to "fix" it was slam the hood real hard.

Paul
 
Drove truck in the field pulling up to the planter before I could reach the pedals. Started it in gear.Later followed Dad all over the country custom combining. Different time then. To long ago to remember what I used for the driving test if I even did one. After many years riding a scooter and motorcycles, I took my test on a HD Sprint SS. Last test about a month ago with a IH single axle tractor and single axle trailer. Probably as hard of a test I've ever taken. Told the examiner that I was only going to drive it on the weekend one month out of the year. He went easy on an old man. My son went at the same time. He got a woman. She failed him. He said He's backed up more miles than she has rode in a truck. He passed the second time.
 
True story.

When I took my test I was driving my moms 1972 chevy surban. While waiting for the examiner I was sitting in the drivers seat with the door open talking to my mother. When the examiner showed up we did the light check and proceeded with the test. He instructed me to go to the street and make a right turn. I did as instructed, only my door didn't get latched and it flew open in the middle of the turn.

I never did find out if that cost me or saved me. It either showed I could deal with a crisis as I continued with my turn as I reached out and shut the door. Or, ???, couldn't parrell park that monster for nothing.
 
It must have been a 66 Chevy station wagon. Dad bought the car new in 66 and I took the test in 67. The officer was a golfing buddy of my uncle's so we chatted about small stuff during the drive and he passed me.

For the CDL test it was an older lady who was a gruff old character. I knew her husband was recovering from a heart attack so during the drive I asked her how her husband was doing. She said "he's doing OK--------HOW DO YOU KNOW MY HUSBAND"!!! He was the custodian at the church building Marilyn worked in so I told her how I got to know him and she softened right up. She failed me for shifting gears while going through an intersection. GRRRR!Jim
 
1988 Nissan Sentra 5speed with power nothing. Too scared to know if I had done anything wrong. Passed first time.

Aaron
 
'64 VW Beetle. That was the first time I ever drove in snow, 8" fell the night before but that wasn't going to stop me from getting my license.
 
Dad's 76 Chevy truck with a camper on it, couldn't see nothing behind me, but I passed. 78 Harley FLH for motorcycle and Freightliner FLD 120 for CDL.
 
'61 Tin Indian, Bonneville, 389, 4bbl. Auto. Being I was a farm boy, had plenty of practice driving. Osifer said I was the BEST driver he'd had in ???? I can't remember.
 
A few years back a friend of mines father sold a drivers ed car !

Mr Van owns Vans used cars , he also has a very large collection of cars.

He sold a mint unrestored 1968 Road Runner, 440 -4 speed. On its doors were the big decals Wayne State University drivers ed.

He has had this car tucked away for a long time and it was unrestored or rotted.

How on earth do you pass drivers ed in a car like that.

Mr Van still has several rare Mopars tucked away. Even a 64 Plymouth with less then 200 orignal miles on it. He will not roll the windows down as to preserve the whats left of the new car smell.
 
1986 toyata pickup deisel standered 5 speed.When I got finished, the guy asked "who taught you to drive"

I says nobody

He says "I thought so" you ever hear of shoulder checking.

I passed .

1995 volvo For class 1

1998 IH school bus for class 2 for over 24 passenger.
 
My Dad's 39 Chev 2 door. Had been a "3 on tree" but part of it broke, so was converted to floor stick. Was 15 at the time.
At age 18 got my chauffeuer lic with Dad's 47 Chev 2 door. CDL hadn't been invented yet, school training for regular lic was just coming into use.
Paper lic came in mail about 3 weeks after test. Big print on test score sheet-THIS IS NOT A LICENSE DO NOT DRIVE UNTIL THE LICENSE COMES IN MAIL.
Regular lic was good for 4 years, chauffeuer only 1 year.
Fast forward to CDL. Took written test on computer, with all the endorsements, passenger, school bus, haz-mat, tanker, & doubles. Computer would stop when had enough right answers & load next endorsement test. Part way through I started to chuckle. Examiner looked up & said "must be on ques 14 of air brake section". Examiner asked how long been driving, over 30 years, wrote NO ROAD TEST REQUIRED on score sheet & sent me on my way.

Willie- deisel pilot, now 9 years into retirement.
 
The local Chevy dealer furnished the Driver"s Education cars for my high school. We got lucky and had a 1968 Chevelle SS-396 automatic to test out in. Most kids already knew how to drive. Having to drive tractors on the family farms,they knew how to back up and park pretty good.
 
Same as HCooke. 54 ford v8 stick. Flunked by cop cause I got nervous and didn't turn the wipers on when it started to rain. Also chewed out for downshifting to second on turns at 10mph. Second time it didn't rain and I lugged the ol' girl around the turns. Passed. Dave
 
1972 Chevy C20, class 1 in 4300 IHC Transtar, 318 Detroit and a 10 speed (an awful thing). I also went to the files and found my Army Drivers Lic from Germany, I was tested and qualified in: M35 2 1/2 ton truck, M60A3 tank, M88 Recovery vehical, M151 MUTT, M880 (Dodge pickup), M561 Gama Goat, 6000 pound Forklift, and 2 I can't remember anything about, 1/4 ton VW van and a 2 1/4 ton Mercedes truck.
 
Mine was a 1939 Ford my late dad bought just before the War started and I took my test in 1949 when I turned 16. My wife took her test with a 1941 Chevy sedan. Her parents bought it just before the War started and it was the dealer's last car. Hal
 
I took my first test in 1966. I drove my Dad's 1964 Dodge 330 2 door. It had a 225 Slant Six and a 3 speed on the column. No power anything. Didn't even have a radio. I passed.
 
First time... 90 something Honda Civic. For my Class 3... that was an '84 FreightLiner COE, 350 Cummins and 15 direct. Examiner remarked that I knew how to shift. I nodded... He then remarked that I was taking quite a chance doing so much driving without a licence... I passed... so really didn't care.

Rod
 
I drove Mama's almost new '84 Buick Park Avenue. I stopped at a railroad crossing that had no gates and lights weren't flashing, rolled windows down, listened, and then eased forward, looking both ways. There were trees on both sides of narrow road, right up to the tracks (it was really just a siding that crossed a side street). Lady asked why I did that. I asked her if she could see if a train was coming. She said no. I said I couldn't either. She smiled, but didnt say anything. When we got back she told me I didn't have to parallel park.

When Daddy got his he was seventeen, age to get it then was fifteen, but he was driving without it anyway. He was working for a neighbor on a dairy farm and had carried a 2 ton truck load of grain to the mill, had the feed loaded on the truck when it started raining. He decided to stop and get his license. Passed the test and was asked where his vehicle was for road test. He pointed to that truck. Said woman just shook her head, and marked him as passing. He got license and went back to work.
 
'57 Buick Roadmaster Convertible in 1960. My mother died a few years later and stipulated in her will that it be sold. I would still own it otherwise. I don't sell much.

The Registry of Motor Vehicles inspector didn't like the way I parallel parked that tank and failed me. Went to an another Registry office later that week and passed.

Got my motorcycle license prior to the testing requirement for MC's. I am grandfathered and will never need to be tested. That's a good thing because I think I would get a pre-emptive failure if I showed up with my '40 HD Knucklehead.

Got my CDL in a friend's B Model Mack w/trailer that I had never driven before.
 
Took the test in a 51 Rocket 88 Oldmobile.

Son went to take his CDL driveing test for the fuel truck. We picked a day when it got up to zero that day. Should of heard the office cussing when he found out he had to gave a driving test. It was a very short inspection and driving test.
 
57 Dodge 48 passenger school bus in Iowa. Could haul kids when we were 16 but couldn't haul cattle til we were 17. All student drivers.
 
Not me, but my aunt tells the story of her dad remembering he had to get a new lisence one day while he was driving a 2 1/2 ton stock truck with a load of cows in it. So he just pulled into the dmv and took the test, cows and all. Passed I'm sure. Was back in the early 70's.

Nothing exciting for me. Probly mom or dad's car, don't recall exactly.

Ben
 
I got my driver license on October 17, 1970. Only had to take the written test and the eye test, since I'd taken and passed driver ed at the high school.

Probably a good thing I didn't have to take a driving test. I drove to the driver license branch in my dad's old '61 Rambler, 6 cylinder with a pushbutton automatic. That summer, my brother had managed to put a small elm tree about 18 inches back into the hood next to the engine, and as a result of the crash we couldn't get the shift cables adjusted so that we had reverse while still keeping "drive." So I just had to be careful where I parked the old beast.

And parallel parking was simply out of the question.
 
(quoted from post at 20:15:27 01/13/11) I loved dad's 58 Starchief. more stainless adornment hanging from the sides than a 50's diner restaurant.

My dads 59 Studebaker Silver Hawk ,,, failed the first go round,,, somehow messed up the bat turn (3 point turn)... The next week Dads 69 Plymouth station wagon (sum'n you could see out of) :wink:
 
My friend said when he got his license back in the early fifties he drove his five dollar Model T to the edge of town, pulled his bicycle out of the back, rode the bike to the courthouse, got his license, rode the bike back to the car and drove home. He didn't mention anything about a driving test. Jim
 
I drove my Dad's new 1970 Impala, I had taken my written test a couple of weeks earlier and drove to the police station by myself on a learners permit. After I took the test I drove home. I was 14 but never drove with an adult unless I was taking them some where. At that time I knew of 10 year olds that were parts getters for their Dad's. Now days it scares me to see 17 year olds driving.
 
My Mama's '67 Chrysler Newport Custom, 383 w/ 727 TorqueFlite A/T in 1973. No problems on the driving test. The day we drove home from getting my learner's permit was bad though! I was about 4 miles from the house and a little dog jumped out in the road before I could react and I rolled him over. Mama said "don't stop/look back"! That was awful. That car was a tank too.
 
1958 Chevrolet BelAir School driver training car four of us took the test I was the only one who failed. Passed the second time on my fathers 57 Chevy BelAir
 
took mine in a primer gray 1966 chevy truck with a 3 on the tree. In WV at that time state troopers gave the road test. I was a just a little nervous but passed the first time.
took my class A in a 1975 White with a 318 detroit 10 speed and a old beat up low boy ,years later took the school bus test in a 1999 international Thomas bus. Passed em both.wihout any problems
 
Hi Guido,

I count 91 responses, not counting this one. That must nearly be some kind of a record for a topic that doesn't eventually get deleted.

Stan
 
a 1956 ford 3/4 ton pickup with a three speed on the column 272 v8 motor It had farmer plates on it and in nj if you were a farmer you could get your licence at 16 , I got my license a year before most of my friends at that time, 1 time that it was sure good to be raised on a farm!
 
1978 Plymouth Volare with 225 CI slant six.

Still have it!

Trooper couldnt have been nicer, spent more time keeping his hat in the transmission hump than anything else...
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top