Duramax problems! oil useage

behr

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by Scotmac on January 16, 2006 at 04:52:14.
The original subject was "Duramax problems".

I have 07, 3500 with 13000 miles , always changed oil befor going for long distance, I tow 18k lb trailer , last oil service at about 5k mile or 50% oil life on reminder, I dicovered oil was low about 3q and at 2500miles or so I added one quart, I use Chevron Delo 400 15w40 ,is there anything to be concerned? your thoughts and words are greatly apreciated.
 
I have two Duramax units - a 2006 and a 2005. I have done a lot of pulling with both and I do not have an oil useage problem. I change oil around 5-6 K and I do oil anaylsis samples - always. I have never had to add oil. With 13000 miles I would go back to the dealer and have it checked. On my 2005 unit I ran it until oil change indicated to change. It had over 13,000 miles on it and that's bit much in my book on the type driving these typres of units usually get. I use Shell 15-40 Rotella.
 
Hello BEHR.
I would recommend you change the oil with a Mobil product designed for diedel use. I believe it is the 1300 delvac series, I know sometimes changing oil brands will cure the problem. If it is under warranty, the dealer should be fixing the problem.
The amount fo oil usage does not sound normal at all.
Guido.
 
GM has told it's dealers that on a Northstar engine in a Cadillac 1 qt. in 1000 miles is "normal"

So they likely have the same BS for the Duramax !
 
I have an 02 Duramax, and have used synthetic oil since the second oil change. I usually wait till the Change Oil Light comes on to change the oil, and have never had to add oil between changes. I've got about 105,000 miles on it now, and the GF's daughter calls it the "new pickup".
Tim in OR
 
GM has never- never had 15w 40 oil in owners manual for oil replacement back to the 60s, 10w 30. anyway i would go to dealer and discuss your oil usage, a GOOD dealer will show gm thoughts and theres and go from there . last i worked in dealership it was 1 quart to tank or tank and 1/2
in break in time(1500 to 2000 miles ) need to drive that thing!
32 years tech, service manager, parts manager, and two time customer satisfaction winner for our size dealership.
joe
 
i have a 01 i have 130,000+ on it never used any or have i ever had to add. i use Rotella 15-40 with 2 qts lucas & oil changes around 6500 miles oil is still like new when i drain it at that many miles
look under your truck, maybe just maybe your oil filter or cooler lines are leaking ? cant hurt to check
 
15W40 conventional or 5w40 sythetic are the GM recommended oils for the Duramax Diesel engine, right out of my owners manual. 10W30 is specifiaclly not recomended in the owners manual. I've had two Chevy's with Duramaxs. Totally trouble free, best diesel engine on the market.
 
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=203105 and here is another one.http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211058
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top