Electrical Mystery. Wits End

Hope Boss Hog, above, nailed it for you, especially if spark test was blue! IF a "sissy yellow" at 1/4" can be weak coil, et cetera. Sounds like you know same.
Few years ago I bough a new cap for my MF-50 at MF dealer after installation the engine ran only on 2 cylinders... I reinstalled the old cap it was running fine. After further visualisation of the new cap there was 2 contact nipples missing inside the new cap. Went back to the dealer exchanged the cap for a good one. Surely lack of quality control.

Hello to anyone following this thread.

I visited a country show this morning and by deserved good luck came across a box of TE20 rotor arms which did not have the brass rivet passing through the assembly.

It just tried the new arm and it started first time! I'm shaking with a mixture of elation and anger at the waste of time.

Obviously the spark was grounding from the lower side of the rivet to the distributor earth.

The malfunctioning rotor arm came from an established tractor spares company but they obviously don't mind supplying shoddy goods. I'll be contacting them.

My thanks again to all who responded on the thread.

Hello to anyone following this thread.

I visited a country show this morning and by deserved good luck came across a box of TE20 rotor arms which did not have the brass rivet passing through the assembly.

It just tried the new arm and it started first time! I'm shaking with a mixture of elation and anger at the waste of time.

Obviously the spark was grounding from the lower side of the rivet to the distributor earth.

The malfunctioning rotor arm came from an established tractor spares company but they obviously don't mind supplying shoddy goods. I'll be contacting them.

My thanks again to all who responded on the thread.
Thanks for letting us know you found the problem.

No problem J Wondergem. I hope the whole story will help others.

Don't necessarily trust something supplied just because it is new.

I've sent a measured but stiff email to the supplier telling them to stop selling these faulty rotor arms. I imagine there are many more confused owners around the UK.

Thanks olddavid.

It was all so very frustrating and I'm so cross that poorly designed spare parts can be so readily available.

As an aside, I'm one of the few Brits who actually knows Kansas City is in Missouri.

The midwest of the USA is on my bucket list.

My university in London had some exchange students from Topeka not so far from you but across the border. Great people from forty years ago.

The TE20 now starts perfectly but dies through a fuel problem. Hopefully easier to fix than the goddamned (is that correct American English?!) rotor arm.

Thanks for your interest in the whole matter.

Thanks olddavid.

It was all so very frustrating and I'm so cross that poorly designed spare parts can be so readily available.

As an aside, I'm one of the few Brits who actually knows Kansas City is in Missouri.

The midwest of the USA is on my bucket list.

My university in London had some exchange students from Topeka not so far from you but across the border. Great people from forty years ago.

The TE20 now starts perfectly but dies through a fuel problem. Hopefully easier to fix than the goddamned (is that correct American English?!) rotor arm.

Thanks for your interest in the whole matter.

For the fuel problem start at the sediment bowl. If not flow there, there are filters and/or the two passages from inside the tank that can clog.

If flow is good for a minute or so, move on to carb drain out, to rule out carb problem (filter in carb elbow/stuck float /needle seat).

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back