Electronic ignition

chuck t

Member
Friend has a MF 235 gasser. He is wondering about installing electronic ignition. How difficult is it? What does it cost? What is the best brand? Any downside to it?
 
I put one in my 1550 Oliver a year ago. Got it from Gennessee Products,about $95. Not hard to install. You have to take the plate that has the points and condensor on it,out. The unit just slides in and you hook up two wires to the coil.
 
I think the only down side is the price. They are all around ~$100. They are easy to install and no more fiddling with points. Easy starts are the rule. I have a Pertronix that installed on my TO-30 and it fires right up in all kinds of weather and runs very smoothly. Unless you like to mess around with points, I"d recommend these electronic ignitions for all these old tractors.
 
I put a kit from Pertronics in my Oliver 1600- All it's life it was notorious for burning points, fouling plugs, etc., and it was no exception after I rebuilt the engine and it had good compression.

I only had about 50 hours on the new engine with all new ignition components and the points were junk. I got the kit and no more problems.

Donovan from Wisconsin
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top